New Mixbus Version 2.0

34 replies [Last post]
philip8888
philip8888's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 week ago. Offline
New Mixbus Version 2.0

Nice improvements.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=108&Itemid=42

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
User offline. Last seen 34 min 14 sec ago. Offline
And the price went up considerably. I was going to buy it for $79 just to play with, but I can't justify the new price. Shame.

calimerox
calimerox's picture
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 57 sec ago. Offline
same to me, looks good the new version, but 100€ for an upgrade is just too much for a software i bought 2 months ago...

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
User offline. Last seen 34 min 14 sec ago. Offline
I hope someone at Harrison is listening. I mean, it's a lot of software for that price, but not when you just had it for sale for $79. Ardour does everything I need, and when I can afford to contribute more directly to ardour, I will. Las gets 100% of it that way.

seablade
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 9 min ago. Offline
I am fairly certain someone at Harrison probably is listening considering Ben posts on these forums pretty often:)

That being said, having been using MB2 for several months now, I will tell you that the majority of my work now gets done in MB with Ardour being sued for tracking etc. At least till I get my hands on A3 or get it working on OS X again:) I will also say that I did find it difficult to switch back to MB1 when I needed to help someone through a problem as there is a fair amount of workflow changes that make a significant difference for me personally, especially if used with track and session templates;)

Seablade

joegiampaoli
joegiampaoli's picture
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
I was a bit surprised to see the new Mixbus 2.0 for sale especially for us the linux users since the first linux release was apparently the last one from the 1.0 series, just a few months back when it came out and a lot of us purchased it, now they released 2.0 and we have to repurchase it, I think what Harrison could of done was release the first linux version under 2.0 (actual) and that way we could all start with a fresh payment-version path, like most of the mac users that had the free updates for many months for versions 1.x....

Just a thought, not bitchin'.... because I understand that part of the money goes to Ardour devs, and I totally support that, but still I think they could of done it that way to make it a bit easier for our wallets.

So anyway, I'll see what I can do to purchase it before the 10th of this month with the discount coupon we got.....

GMaq
GMaq's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 10 hours ago. Offline
Hi,

I think this is a case of inconvenient timing more than anything else, I think time will tell but my guess is that Mixbus updates to the 2.x series will straighten this out in the long run. You have to remember it was a very bold move for Harrison to put up a Linux version in a market where people are used to being spoon-fed whatever they ask for for free, I wouldn't be surprised if sales were softer than expected in the 1.5 version, in fact in some forums etc. there was politically negative reception. Many people don't realize that a LOT of work was done by both Ardour devs and paid Harrison people to perfect the standalone binary bundles that we all enjoy now in Ardour 3.0 and that Mixbus development influence/needs have benefited Ardour users greatly.

I agree and empathize that the step up to Mixbus2 seems a bit abrupt, I personally am just glad to see that Harrison is hanging in there, they could have easily dipped their toe in with 1.5 and said 'where is the market here?'. I think for Linux people to get used the idea of commercial software is going to take a while and I'm thankful that Harrison is willing to commit to giving it some time.

joegiampaoli
joegiampaoli's picture
Yeah, that's pretty much the thing, it's just "inconvenient timing", I don't mind paying money for linux software at all, it's just a bit too soon for the linux users since we just got it to kind of drive-test it.

scg62
scg62's picture
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
I was surprised too, but the calculation for me was... 79$ + 99$ ... thats 180 bucks for a Mixbus 2.0 with IMHO fantasic possibilities, so thats perfect to me. Together with an AVLinux.... a dream. Just compare with a M$ OS and let's say Cubase.

And as some gentlemen already stated here, it's an indirect way to support Ardour (what I additionally do directly, and will keep on doing).

The biggest cut for me will be when Mixbus/Ardour get's more hungry on resources, that's the time to update hardware, a well known M$ illness.

Yours
Prof Knaakenbroed

( Visit the Knaakenbroed music universe:
http://home.mnet-online.de/profknaakenbroed/ )

joegiampaoli
joegiampaoli's picture
Maybe Harrison could extend our $99.00 coupons instead of just 10-12 days to something a bit longer especially to Linux users?

This is what the update e-mail says at the beginning:

It's been 18 months since Harrison released Mixbus on Mac OSX. We've released 7 free updates since then, and a new Linux-compatible version. Now we're pleased to introduce a major new update!

I'm not saying to extended the coupon to full 18 months, but kinda make it a little longer for us to catch up with the expenses.....

Because now I feel like dumping Linux and switching to Mac just to feel a little more................"privileged"? (sarcasm)

calimerox
calimerox's picture
"I'm not saying to extended the coupon to full 18 months, but kinda make it a little longer for us to catch up with the expenses....."

@joegiampaoli : I totally agree with that! it s ok to pay for a major upgrade, but that they expect everyone has all of a sudden 100€ extra to spend within a view days .. they should know better..

nowhiskey
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
i think so too - extending the coupon to some reasonabel amount of time would be a perfect solution for me.
2 weeks sometimes really is not enough of time for some of us to pay 100 dollars...

cheers,
doc

joegiampaoli
joegiampaoli's picture
Well let's hope they do listen and understand us, I placed a comment on their facebook page explaining pretty much the same issue, if anyone wants to help explain the situation here it is:

http://www.facebook.com/HarrisonMixbus/posts/118132504937976

calimerox
calimerox's picture
the answer i got per mail was that after the 10th of june there will be a new update offer for mixbus2.0 (so more than 100$ less than 219$)......

joegiampaoli
joegiampaoli's picture
Let me see if I got that one straight....

So we purchase version 2 with our $99.00 USD coupon, then immediately we have to purchase the update (or fix) for that version that will cost us another $100 USD????? That is if we buy it in time with our coupon, because if not the fix will cost us +$200 USD?

Is this correct?

If that is so, they are releasing version 2 with flaws on purpose to push us into the fix?

hmmmm.....

I hope I am misunderstanding....

MD
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 5 hours ago. Offline
Sorry Joe but you´re indeed misunderstanding !
I have no idea how you came to that impression !
Calimerox just said that after the first update offer till the 10th of june,
there will be another offer.

This means imo that from the 11th of june, there will be a new update offer (surely more then 100$) ... for updating customers not for the fix !
Rising prices are not pleasing, but no reason for thinking of a rip-off ;-)

joegiampaoli
joegiampaoli's picture
Ok I did have the wrong impression then after all.

Listen, I don't mind like I said paying for software, or even if prices went up, the thing is that I feel the coupon time limit is a bit tight, like I said before, mostly for the Linux users since we just got Mixbus a few months ago (those who purchased when it came out), I can't imagine what some users that purchased it 2-3 week ago must feel like!

I really think the coupon expiration time should be extended, mostly if a lot of mac users had a whole 18 months of non-expense worries!

Do you understand where I'm trying to get to?

MD
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 5 hours ago. Offline
I totally understand where you´re coming from and where you´re trying to get to !
Me too I think the time limit is a bit tight and extending this limit would be a good idea,

but that has nothing to do with the upcoming fix !

I am in active e-mail contact with Ben and I did found the "embarrassing bug" immediately after the release.
So they will surely not let their customer pay for that kind of bug/fix !

So no more conspiracy theory needed ;-)

BenLoftis
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
For those who are wondering what MD is referrring to: there is a bug where the new mixbuses 5-8 don't recall correctly, This is fixed and we hope to release the new version today. -Ben

lathqe
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Would I be correct in assuming that MB2 is still being built off of Ardour 2.8.11?

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 39 min ago. Offline
@lathqe: mixbus has its own branch(es) in our svn repository. it is "based" on ardour 2.0-ongoing but has quite a lot of changes that at this time have not been back-ported into ardour 2.0-ongoing or ardour 3.0.

fernesto
fernesto's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
this is prob a little dumb to ask but... anybody knows if ardours income from MB2 was raised too? (i hope so...)

i'm not worried at all for paying for a good DAW for Linux, in fact i'm planning on Recording/Editing next month using A3 (preferring Alpha 4+ versions than A2 for editing even with the bugs, stacked layering is a huuuuge + for me) and Mixing/Mastering using MB2.... and i still think 220$ is way under the price other well known DAWs, i can only guess that there'll be better MB versions with much evolving in the upcoming years and price rising too of course but i think of this as paying in parts the develope and evolve of that very very helpful - easy and intuitive editing - great native plugins sounding and great overall music production DAW we all want for Linux... may that be Ardour or another MB version.

probably when that DAW arrives we would only have to pay 150$ for the upgrade... ??? who knows but ... hope you get the idea...

now for MB Linux users, how is it been for you Mastering on MB, any useful info, planning on buy it as soon as i can afford it (next week ... lol) and im planning on using it for the next recording on my studio.

funkathon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Why do I hear clicks every now and then when I open a window, select a menu or even move the mouse around the desktop while music is being fed to ardour in standby record mode?

seablade
It sounds like you have a system configuration issue, which would apply to either Ardour or Mixbus(You know you posted in a Mixbus thread right?). I assume you are on Linux? Do you have proper realtime scheduling set up and enabled in Jack?

Seablade

funkathon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hey Seablade!...I'm using Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6. Yes I know this is a mixbus thread! I'm using mixbus 2.0.

seablade
What is your buffer setting and what are your DSP measurements reading?

Seablade

scardanelli
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Still loving Mixbus 2 but there are some serious issues that keep me from going the whole way with this program (apart from my own operator errors...)

Recording - I get xruns and glitches recording only a few tracks, that I DON'T get in Logic or Pro Tools. Using a Macbook Pro - and I don't want to get into looking "under the hood" at Jack etc, that's why I went from 20 years plus on a PC to MAC, Audio Units works for me. I love mixing in Mixbus, but having to import loads of audio files just because I cannot rely on it live is no good. One DAW from beginning to end is how it should be, as it works with Logic.

File handling - look at a region, now try and find the audio file it belongs to, quickly...when I highlight a region can it not highlight its respective audio file? Makes taking audio in and out to other apps very time consuming at the moment.

Markers - I do a lot of classical recording and editing, and need to fly in patches and edits into technically challenging and complex music - in Logic I can fly around the place with markers, edit on the fly, including whilst recording etc. In Mixbus this is far from simple or intuitive - we need double click on marker to edit title, and in fact when creating a marker surely it should auto pop-up for writing a name? No-one here really has any use for "mark 1", "mark 2" etc do they?

Still on markers, I want to be able to create a marker form the region as in Logic, again on the fly, and name immediately - is this possible? Also I don't see my "created single range" markers anywhere but in the locations window, they do not show up on the timeline and whilst they're fabulous for multiple file export for CDs they'd be even more fab if they showed up as regions in the timeline.

Plugins - should, when added, open their window - whenever I add a plugin I need to double click to open the window and choose or modify patch - no-one adds a plugin without this second stage surely, so open plugin as soon as inserted please.

For now then...
Simon

nowhiskey
hallo,
for naming the markers:

menu->options->misc options->name new markers

that works here...

for 'create single range' you have to make the ranges field in the rulers visible.
for that, right click in the rulers area (the grey bars with tempo, meter, loop/punch etc.) and un/check what you donot/need.

i agree wuth you that 'open plugin as soon as inserted' could be a usefull option.

cheers,
doc

nowhiskey
hallo,
for naming the markers:

menu->options->misc options->name new markers

that works here...

for 'create single range' you have to make the ranges field in the rulers visible.
for that, right click in the rulers area (the grey bars with tempo, meter, loop/punch etc.) and un/check what you donot/need.

i agree wuth you that 'open plugin as soon as inserted' could be a usefull option.

cheers,
doc

scardanelli
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Show range markers - operator error on my part! Actually I seem to recall in an earlier version these did not show up, they do now so thanks for that.

But for naming convention - it makes no difference what the default setting is - I'm naming markers by song title, movement, take number etc and as I say it's a question of naming on the fly as I enter them whilst the session is in progress - a conductor will shout to me - Top of page 32, or Bar 84 etc etc, that's not programmable and at the moment I'd have to write a note to myself as I added the marker.

BenLoftis
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
@scardanelli:

Thanks for your comments, this is good stuff! I have addressed your comments below:

Recording xruns and glitches:
That's not normal operation. Stable realtime operation depends heavily on the buffer size, I/O, and how realtime-capable your system is. I'd suggest increasing the buffer size as a start. And this doesn't take any messing with JACK, really .. just change the buffer size in the Audio Setup tab when you launch Mixbus. If Logic, etc, works, then I'd expect Mixbus to work on the same system. just make sure you are using equivalent buffer sizes.

File handling - look at a region, now try and find the audio file it belongs to, quickly:
You can right-click on a region and "export" it with the file format, name, and location of your choice. You can also export ranges if you don't want the whole file. That's what I'd suggest. But clearly this is important to you. At your request, we have added the ability to highlight the respective audio file when it is selected in the editor; this will be available in the next release. However it is not clear to me how this will help you export the file any faster than the previously mentioned method. Perhaps another step is needed?

Markers:
as nowhikey said, you should enable "menu->options->misc options->name new markers". Transport->Markers->Add Mark from Playhead". By default this is mapped to the keypad "Enter" key (the one on the number pad). If that isn't working for you, you can remap it like this: go to Windows->Keygindings->Editor. Find the item called "Add Mark From Playhead", and click the key you want to map to that function. (this is handled much more elegantly in Linux, by the way ... you simply pull down the menu and click the key you want to assign while pointing at the menu item .... too bad OSX doesn't allow this)

Still on markers:
Right-click on the region, and choose "Add single range" ... the name dialog will pop up automatically if you have the "name new markers" option turned on. This function is found under the "Range" menu and can be bound to a key. It sounds like we should develop a Logic keymap, similar to the ProTool-ish and Cubase-ish keymaps that we have created already.

Plugins:
I believe this has been implemented in the past and then turned back off due to preference and/or unexpected operation. I will look into it.

Best Regards,
Ben Loftis
Harrison Consoles