New Mixbus Version 2.0

34 replies [Last post]
scardanelli
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
@ BenLoftis - thanks for your ever helpful responses Ben.

Xruns - I generally have my buffers set at 256, this works for everything, Logic 9, Pro Tools 9, Cubase 6, but maybe I'll have to experiment in raising this to allow for MB needing a a bit more. Funny thing is it's not consistent - and it's only ever happened on location sessions. Using the same interfaces though so I need to look into this. Mixbus in the studio never has this problem.

File handling - The export function works as it should and I have no problems with that. I wasn't clear enough earlier, it's not really about exporting from MB - there are times when I would for example want to choose a batch of audio files to send to a client in a Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase etc session. The easiest way to do this would be to identify the audio files, go to Finder and copy these to another directory for their session, rather than exporting or bouncing. If I have to do this in Logic I simply rename all the region parent files into a convention that is easy - so if I highlight the region in the session timeline, it lights up in the audio bin and I can easily rename the whole audio file to suit the clients needs, for example "Clarinet take 1, spaced pair take one" etc, then I can grab these files into one directory to send the client.

>>Right-click on the region, and choose "Add single range" ... the name dialog will pop up automatically if you have the "name new markers" option turned on.>>

Good, that works, found the option to name. But I should bind to a key - it's a big part of what I do when I'm editing a session, naming sections and takes that are good etc. And whoopee! Name new markers also allows me to name the markers entered via the Return key (which does work for me, sorry if that was confusing) immediately, that's great. I would still like double-click or centre mouse click for renaming markers though, rather than right click, drop down menu, select etc....

I still have a problem with sample rate changes though - cannot load MB if I've run a session in Logic at 96 - Jack refuses to allow MB to run, and I have to reboot the macbook completely to enable a session in 44 to be opened in MB. Tried re-setting audio engine etc, only thing that works is a complete reboot. Am I missing something?

Thanks again Ben, you always find a solution - sorry if some of my problems are classic RTFM jobs - I'm not great at ploughing through the exhaustive menus and submenus in Mixbus as you can tell. I can tell you that on Thursday last I edited a complex modern classical piece which I'd recorded several weeks ago and not looked at since, with the client sitting here, and put together some very tasty crossfade edits from different takes that impressed the hell out of the client. Funny thing was, I was unsure about whether to quickly throw all the files into Logic as I knew I'd be under pressure with the composer sitting there - but in the end (and partly due to the difficulty identifying all the relevant takes quickly!) there wasn't time, and Mixbus came through for me. The fade handles are so very useful - something that really bugs me about Logic's clumsy fade handling.

So, another feature request (no doubt you'l point me to the menu where it already exists) would be - double click on fade to edit the slope etc of the fade, as per Pro Tools.

Cheers

Simon

BenLoftis
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline
Right-click on the fade to choose from several slopes :)

-Ben

scardanelli
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
If I knew how to do a wry smiley I would...

Thanks, love it.

Simon

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 13 min ago. Offline
@scardanelli: regarding file handling ... one issue with the design that you're alluding to is that regions do not correspond (necessarily) to files. this is true for at least two reasons: regions could be just a part of a file, and thus providing the file to someone else doesn't really give them "the region" per se; secondly, a region could be composed of more than one file (all ardour/mixbus native files are non-interleaved mono files, regardless of the data format or header format). finally, ardour/mixbus doesn't really an "audio bin" that corresponds to files either. its true that the top level nodes in the region list are almost always actual "whole files", but the node itself may represent N different files of an N channel region.