no waveform in ardour, ubuntu 11.04

Can’t see my waveforms in the tracks, but I can hear them. the envellope is there but no visual for the wave.

Session seem’s to be ok. The meters don’t show anything. I can record, and I can hear it but can’t see It…

In view / waveform, they are all checked .

anybody please.

Hi,

try to close the session, delete your “peaks” folder in the session folder and then restart the session. Ardour will take some while (depending on how many regions you have) to recalculate the wafeforms and then show them.

I assume this is ardour 2.8.11 from the Ubuntuu repos?

Best
Benjamin

Hi,

I’m not sure what you mean by’’ delete your “peaks” folder in the session folder’’

when I open my session a pop up tells me this.

[INFO]: Loading session /home/gilles/Ardour/Inspired II using snapshot Inspired II (1)
Loading history from ‘/home/gilles/Ardour/Inspired II/Inspired II.history’.
[ERROR]: Found a reference to a plugin (“1204”) that is unknown.
Perhaps it was removed or moved since it was last used.
[WARNING]: insert could not be created. Ignored.
[INFO]: Loading session /home/gilles/Ardour/inspired III using snapshot inspired III (1)
Loading history from ‘/home/gilles/Ardour/inspired III/inspired III.history’.
[ERROR]: could not reconstitute MementoCommand from XMLNode. object type = N6ARDOUR11AudioRegionE id = 519

I run Ardour 2.8.11
Jack 0.3.7

Everything worked fine on ubuntu 10.10
But not on ubuntu11.04
thank for your time

I’m not sure what you mean by’’ delete your “peaks” folder in the session folder’’

He means that your ardour session sits in a directory somewhere on your HD. Go into that directory and locate a folder called “peaks”. Delete it (while ardour is closed) and open the session again in ardour.

OK, I deleted the ‘‘peak’’ folder in the session folder while Ardour was close. Still no waveforms. It’s the same as before.

Hm, that’s odd. Does this staay the same when you create a new session?

It could be caused either by the Ubuntu build or by a bug in Ardour itself, hard to say. If it only happens in this one session, maybe you could upload it somewhere so we can have a look at it. If it also happens with a new session, it is very likely Ubuntu’s fault.

Best
Benjamin

I’m quite sure it’s an ubuntu bug, I tried ubuntu 11.04 on a new box I built for 3D and Audio, and believe me it gave me nothing but headaches…, and more with their unity environment, which you can change to plain classic, but still things were not smooth.

I installed ubuntu 10.04 LTS for 3D and common Desktop use, and on another partition I installed Debian specifically for audio (which runs a lot better despite it’s a new machine), I still don’t understand why I never used plain Debian before.

This will be my last ubuntu install, afterwards 100% pure Debian for me.

Ubuntu is ok for normal desktop use, but the devs are making it harder each time to let users configure it to their needs, all they care is things like faster booting and nice looks, and are completely forgetting the truth of “The user has the right to do whatever he feels like it with his computer”

Ubuntu is ok for normal desktop use, but the devs are making it harder each time to let users configure it to their needs, all they care is things like faster booting and nice looks, and are completely forgetting the truth of "The user has the right to do whatever he feels like it with his computer"

I wouldn’t say that at all. They have a direction they are taking Ubuntu that they want to make it as simple and easy as possible for the average user to install and run. This conflicts with what are not average users in some cases, namely us in multimedia production it often conflicts with. But that truth is always there because we can choose to just use another distribution if we need. That choice in inheirt in Linux and is part of why that is still present even in Ubuntu.

Seablade

All Of my sessions have the same problem, and even new ones.

So I’ll be going on Ubuntu forum for the rest, and thanks for your time Benjamin and the others.

Problem solved I swich back to ubuntu studio 11.04.

I like the ubuntu11.04 desktop better.

A post was split to a new topic: Dissappearing Waveforms