Cut That Cut Out

I’m not sure exactly how to describe it but it’s a garage/indie/rock/funk/soul record. I recorded all of the parts in Ardour and then mixed it using Mixbus (first time using Mixbus) and a collection of LinuxDSP plugins. This is quite probably the last music I will make using Ardour 2.x. I’m very excited to be playing around with the new features of Ardour 3 particularly the potential of using MIDI to create parts I would never be good enough to play myself. The title of this album is partly in reference to how much cutting I did to most of the performances to get them how I wanted them.

wow… great sound! its like being right behind the door just about to enter the club where the band is playing… heh… that reverb sound and it all just fits nice together, congrats!

PD. did you use any plugin in particular for that low-fi sound? an example to get a lo-fi simmilar to that would be great, im just starting in the audio record-edit-mix business…

Thanks!

I put all of the vocals through a bus with the LinuxDSP distortion plugin. That certainly makes for a low-fi sound. You definitely want to use a bus for that and mix it with the original because the vocals get really crushed going through there. If you wanted you could mix other parts into the same bus to grunge them up a bit.

I also recorded all of the drums using a single Rode NT1 in the adjacent room which I think contributes a lot to that feeling.

“I also recorded all of the drums using a single Rode NT1 in the adjacent room which I think contributes a lot to that feeling.”

All drums were recorded through that single channel?

I’ve been testing some recording at the drums with 4 mics, two OH (MXL 990 & 991 … its what i got for now) in XY 90º about 1,7Mts (that would be… 5-6 feet) from the ground right abobe the kick pedal, but not sharing an axis, rather than that i separate them to “simulate the distance and angle of sound capture of our ears” and that seems to capture a very natural sound from the drums and the room good sterreo also, the other two microphones are to reinforce kick and snare.

I like a lot the sound of your drums, i know its an old school method to record a channel from another room, i’ve achieved that sound using software but the results in your audio makes me want to do it myself heh… thanks a lot for the tips!

Very cool! It really is a great mix! I wonder what did you use for mastering? I found Elephant VST trough ArdourVST to be the only choice that satisfied me, but looks like you found a good alternative… is it the Mixbus limiter?

Glad you liked the mix. Yeah, I used the Mixbus limiter on the master track, in combination with the LinuxDSP multiband compressor.