ardour not recieving guitar input thru jack even tho i know guitar is going into computer,i need help

ardour is working sort of but even though i connected in jackd capture into ardour track (recording my guitar which i run into the computer,it has worked many many times until now)but ardour is not recording or showing my guitar even though i know it is going into the computer cuz i can hear it coming from the speakers but its not going into ardour even though hydrogen is going in and being recorded.
Also for the first time ardour turned grey when i turned it on and i had to force quit it a few times and the same thing happened with jack ive never had this happen.I am completely lost here.Ive been trying to fix this for days and i am going crazy.I am a newbie to linux and computers,please help!

You are taking for granted that the audio is going into the computer but you could be wrong because many soundcards have an internal mixer. Please, give the output of the following informative commands:

cat /proc/asound/cards
arecord -l && aplay -l

Hey man i ran the commands and this is what came up

owner@owner-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [ICH6 ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6
Intel ICH6 with STAC9750,51 at irq 16
owner@owner-laptop:~$ arecord -l && aplay -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH6]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC ADC [Intel ICH6 - MIC ADC]
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 2: Intel ICH - MIC2 ADC [Intel ICH6 - MIC2 ADC]
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 3: Intel ICH - ADC2 [Intel ICH6 - ADC2]
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH6]
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH6 - IEC958]

what should i do,no im glad its going in the computer,but ardour is not picking it up at all even tho i am connectoing it in jack the same way that worked for months,so without that ability i cant record anything

Check the hardware side first, cables and connections, then read the manual, then join the chat (Menu: Help). Because I have no clue of what is going on and the forum is not the right place for solving this kind of problems.

Cheers, Pablo

i have donr both repeatedly and i cant get help on the freenode thing can you please help me

@PabloFernandez: I’ve seen the IRC discussions with the OP. We have no idea at all what is wrong with his system.

I will try to. Once you think that all should be OK but however you don’t get ardour to record your guitar, open a terminal and copy the following commands:

ps aux |grep jackd (to see your jack settings)
jack_lsp -c (to see your jack connections)
amixer (to see your mixer levels)

Please, don’t paste here the outputs. Instead, use pastebin or ubuntu pastebin and give here the URL. Also, what distro and distro version, and which jack (jackd --version) and ardour versions?

@Paul. I did not see your comment. Anyway, let’s try to help him. Maybe the alsa mixer is badly configured?

Everything about his system looks OK. the ALSA mixer appears to be configured properly, he appears to be using the right card, and moreover it worked before a system update (not an upgrade). Neither I nor 3 others could see any obvious issues at all.

@stephenthemartyr : Just a thought - check if you have an .asoundrc in your home directory and if so, rename it to something else. You also might want to check if you have an /etc/asoundrc and do the same.

Mplayer stopped playing h264 videos for me after an update and it turned out they had changed an option in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf. Reverting that got things working again.