Ardour 2.0beta5 released

We are happy to announce a new beta release of Ardour 2.0 (beta 5.1). This release features a huge number of improvements and fixes since the last beta.

The.dmg will be available for OS X ASAP, and will be linked to from here when its ready.

This is still beta software, but we believe we are close to the point where most of the remaining bug fixes are for trivial matters (though still potentially involving crashes). Please test the new beta, and report issues to the ardour-dev mailing list and the #ardour IRC channel. Mantis (the issue tracker) can be used, but we'd prefer at this time to keep it free of things that are trivial to fix.

Do not use Ardour 2.0 to open the only copy of sessions created with Ardour 0.99. Ardour 2.0 saves the session file in a new format that Ardour 0.99 will not understand. The simplest way to address this is to make a copy of the session file itself (e.g mysession/mysession.ardour) and make that file unreadable using chmod(1).

I hate to be a pest or anything, but how is .dmg coming along? (I just can’t contain my giddiness.)

One half of the .dmg team (me) was away for the weekend. :slight_smile:

LOL…I hear you. Thanks for all of your work.

Oh, the sweet savory temptation that would be a snapshot build or a soon-to-be-released v2 DMG. {grin}

The list of dependencies for the build kit on OSX seem daunting if someone who already has it set up could just produce the packaged runtime. {smile}

I try compile the new release…

but I get this when I run scons

scons
scons: Reading SConscript files …
Checking for usb_interrupt_write() in C library usb… no
Checking for FLAC__stream_decoder_new() in C++ library FLAC… yes
Checking for C++ header file boost/shared_ptr.hpp… no
Boost header files do not appear to be installed.

but I have boost-dev installed

aptitude search boost
p boost-build - Build system
i libboost-date-time-dev - set of date-time libraries based on generic programming concepts
i A libboost-date-time1.33.1 - set of date-time libraries based on generic programming concepts
p libboost-dbg - Boost C++ Libraries with debug symbols
i libboost-dev - Boost C++ Libraries development files
p libboost-doc - Boost.org libraries documentation
i libboost-filesystem-dev - filesystem operations (portable paths, iteration over directories, etc) in
i A libboost-filesystem1.33.1 - filesystem operations (portable paths, iteration over directories, etc) in
i libboost-graph-dev - generic graph components and algorithms in C++
i A libboost-graph1.33.1 - generic graph components and algorithms in C++
i libboost-iostreams-dev - Boost.Iostreams Library development files
i A libboost-iostreams1.33.1 - Boost.Iostreams Library
p libboost-program-options-dev - program options library for C++
p libboost-program-options1.33.1 - program options library for C++
i libboost-python-dev - Boost.Python Library development files
i A libboost-python1.33.1 - Boost.Python Library
i libboost-regex-dev - regular expression library for C++
i A libboost-regex1.33.1 - regular expression library for C++
p libboost-serialization-dev - serialization library for C++
i libboost-signals-dev - managed signals and slots library for C++
i A libboost-signals1.33.1 - managed signals and slots library for C++
i libboost-test-dev - components for writing and executing test suites
i A libboost-test1.33.1 - components for writing and executing test suites
i libboost-thread-dev - portable C++ multi-threading
i A libboost-thread1.33.1 - portable C++ multi-threading
i libboost-wave-dev - C99/C++ preprocessor library

Any news yet on the OS X package?

Thanks,

josh

A number of distributions get boost wrong.

They install boost headers in a “special” location and provide no way to find them.

Find where they are by hand, then make a symbolic link from /usr/include/boost to point to the real location.

get a better distribution of linux?

What distribution is this? Your system sounds like it has a totally broken setup for compiling threaded applications.

I have problems with pbd…

g++ -o libs/pbd/libpbd.so -Wl,–export-dynamic -pthread -pthread -shared libs/pbd/basename.os libs/pbd/base_ui.os libs/pbd/convert.os libs/pbd/command.os libs/pbd/controllable.os libs/pbd/dmalloc.os libs/pbd/error.os libs/pbd/id.os libs/pbd/mountpoint.os libs/pbd/path.os libs/pbd/pathscanner.os libs/pbd/pool.os libs/pbd/pthread_utils.os libs/pbd/receiver.os libs/pbd/stacktrace.os libs/pbd/stateful.os libs/pbd/strsplit.os libs/pbd/textreceiver.os libs/pbd/transmitter.os libs/pbd/undo.os libs/pbd/version.os libs/pbd/whitespace.os libs/pbd/xml++.os -Llibs/sigc++2 -Llibs/glibmm2 -lsigc++2 -lxml2 -lglibmm2 -lglib-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0
.L5649' referenced in section.rodata’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc' of libs/pbd/stateful.os.L5650’ referenced in section .rodata' of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os
.L5651' referenced in section.rodata’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc' of libs/pbd/stateful.os.L5652’ referenced in section .rodata' of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os
.L5653' referenced in section.rodata’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc' of libs/pbd/stateful.os.L5654’ referenced in section .rodata' of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os
.L5655' referenced in section.rodata’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc' of libs/pbd/stateful.os.L5656’ referenced in section .rodata' of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os
.L5657' referenced in section.rodata’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc' of libs/pbd/stateful.os.L5658’ referenced in section .rodata' of libs/pbd/stateful.os: defined in discarded section.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN13StringPrivate11char_to_intEc’ of libs/pbd/stateful.os
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [libs/pbd/libpbd.so] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

you can help-me?
thanks.

in the answer to 2 other comments posted in the last 24 hrs:

http://ardour.org/building

at the top of that page, it says:

—————————————
In addition many people have reported link-time errors when using recent versions of the binutils package. At this time (August 18th, 2006), it is known that binutils 2.17 will fail to link ardour, whereas versions earlier than this work correctly. You may see errors such as this:

‘.L3476’ referenced in section ‘.gnu.linkonce.r.Z14string_composeISsPcESsRKSsRKT_RKT0’ of libs/ardour/recent_sessions.os: defined in discarded section ‘.gnu.linkonce.t.Z14string_composeISsPcESsRKSsRKT_RKT0’ of libs/ardour/recent_sessions.os

With earlier versions of binutils, this is merely informative and is not an error. With version 2.17, it causes linking to fail.
————————————————————

Man what a week…

tim gorman
it director
petr-all petroleum
6567 kinne rd dewitt ny 13214

file SConstruct,line 464:
Configure(confdir = .sconf_temp)
scons: Configure: Checking for C++ header file boost/shared_ptr.hpp…
.sconf_temp/conftest_2.cpp <-
|
|#include <boost/shared_ptr.hpp>
|
|
g++ -o .sconf_temp/conftest_2.o -c .sconf_temp/conftest_2.cpp
/usr/include/pthread.h:285: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_st* pthread_t’
/usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:152: error: ‘pthread_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef long unsigned int pthread_t’
/usr/include/pthread.h:286: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_attr_st* pthread_attr_t’
/usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:54: error: ‘pthread_attr_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef struct __pthread_attr_s pthread_attr_t’
/usr/include/pthread.h:287: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef int pthread_key_t’
/usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:82: error: ‘pthread_key_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef unsigned int pthread_key_t’
/usr/include/pthread.h:289: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef int pthread_mutexattr_t’
/usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:102: error: ‘pthread_mutexattr_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef struct pthread_mutexattr_t pthread_mutexattr_t’
/usr/include/pthread.h:290: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_mutex_st* pthread_mutex_t’
/usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:95: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef struct pthread_mutex_t pthread_mutex_t’
/usr/include/pthread.h:291: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef int pthread_condattr_t’
/usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:79: error: ‘pthread_condattr_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef struct pthread_condattr_t pthread_condattr_t’
/usr/include/pthread.h:292: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_cond_st* pthread_cond_t’
/usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:72: error: ‘pthread_cond_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef struct pthread_cond_t pthread_cond_t’
/usr/include/pthread.h:293: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef int pthread_rwlockattr_t’
/usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:128: error: ‘pthread_rwlockattr_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef struct pthread_rwlockattr_t pthread_rwlockattr_t’
/usr/include/pthread.h:294: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_rwlock_st* pthread_rwlock_t’
/usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:120: error: ‘pthread_rwlock_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef struct _pthread_rwlock_t pthread_rwlock_t’
scons: Configure: no

I see my “config.log”, and I find this.

what I can do about my pthread?

thanks.

A note about the pthread problem:
You will get such errors on feisty with libpthread-dev installed. This packet was needed on edgy AFAIR, but it should be uninstalled on feisty, at least at the moment. Ardour2 builds fine without it.

Ardour executable is now versioned…This will be the last beta before 2.0rc1, which is expected to be followed by 2.0rc2 and then 2.0 Final.

thanks,
golf tournament sweepstakes