Reason 5+Ardour

Hi, I’m a french user of Ardour, so excuse my bad english. I’m trying since a week to put reason in rewire of ardour. Is it possible, I see few topic but I haven’t yet understand. I select jack router in reason’s preferences so I’ve a signal in ardour, but can I use the midi syncro between reason and ardour ? I record many audio materials, with reason

I can’t be record any audio so I’ve need ardour. Thanks for your answers.

Lucas

Ardour2 supports Midi TimeCode, but not MIDI Clock. If Reason can sync to MIDI TimeCode then yes you can sync the two, but if it only supports syncing via MIDI Clock, which is not the same thing, then no it cannot.

Ardour3 will support MIDI Clock IIRC.

Seablade

Thanks for your answer, but apparently reason uses a midi time code not a midi clock so I think it’s over. I will download ardour 3 when the software will be ok.

Lucas

It sounds to me like Reason does use the “proper” midi time code. You should try it out. I’m assuming you’re on OSX, so you’ll need a midi patchbay like this one - http://xmidi.com/cgi-bin/dl?MIDIPatchbay-1.0.3.zip

Anybody have any luck with this? I’ve been using Hydrogen with nice results, but their development is slow and I’ve got a bug that I can’t get around. (Recording in Song mode doesn’t always work).

Anyway, how do I set up a time sync between Reason and Ardour? I’m using Reason 4. The sync options I see for Reason are {“Internal”, “MIDI Clock”, “ReWire”}.

I’ve got midi patchbay. Do I tell Ardour to send MTC or something? Should Ardour be “Time Master”? What should Ardour be synced to? I’m lost…