ir-lv2 plugin doesn't appear in Ardour *SOLVED*

Howdy. I figured out the solution to this problem before I got around to asking here, so I’m posting this in case it helps someone else searching. I didn’t think this qualified as a tip or a trick… Anyway, I built the ir-lv2 plugin on Fedora 14 64-bit, but it didn’t show up in the list of plugins. After pulling my hair out for a while, I realized it was copying the files to /usr/lib/lv2 instead of /usr/lib64/lv2. I copied the files over and the plugin worked great. Someone concerned with a more “correct” solution would probably have changed the path in the Makefile and installed again.

interesting… I would generally say that /usr/lib/lv2 is the more ‘correct’ location in this case (all the .deb packages of plugins on my website install to /usr/lib/lv2 on either 32 or 64bit on ubuntu / debian - I’ve had no reports of them not working… Although that doesn’t mean there haven’t been issues that just haven’t been reported)

My version is 2.8.11. Maybe it’s a Fedora packaging thing? I have no idea. All my other lv2 plugins (installed from the repositories) ended up in /usr/lib64/lv2. IR was the only one I compiled myself, and the only one to install in /usr/lib/lv2.

What version of Ardour? I always install plugins to /usr/lib/lv2 - on either 32 or 64Bit and ardour finds them just fine.

I would think that if you did a “make install” after the build that the plugin would automatically be installed in the correct place. Usually you can choose the location for the installation in the make process to choose the installation path (with something like an option like -path=/usr/local ). Typically you choose between /usr or /usr/local with /usr/local as the default.

Normally /usr/lib should be a symbolic link pointing to /usr/lib64, at least on 64bit systems. In this case both variants should work.
I installed the IR plugin on a 64bit gentoo system with Ardour 2.8.11 and it was found without issues.