RME HDSP 9632 issues...or maybe not
I have an RME 9632 and I get randomly audible xruns, about a couple of them in a 4-6 minutes playback or recording session. Interesting enough, it makes almost no difference even if I compile the linux kernel at the same time. My typical setup is having a session with about 6 - 7 tracks, all muted apart from one and playing along with an edrum kit. Sometimes, I also record the kit.
Jack configuration is at 44100, 128 frames, 2 periods, or 44100, 256 frames, 2 periods.
I have tried almost anything, but I could not improve performance. Anything includes:
* AVLinux 4.2-5 (2.6.31-rt, 2.6.33-rt, 2.6.39, 3.0.x kernels)
* Fedora 16 with custom low latency 3.0.1 and 3.0.1-rt kernel)
* Tried various priority configurations following the tutorials found in ffado and linuxmusicians.com
* changing from jack2 to jack1 and vice versa
* using jack2 with or without the -S option
System specs are amd x2 5200+, 5gb ram, and a couple of TB hard disk space, nvidia 7900gs gpu. For the realtime kernels, I use the nouveau driver or the nv driver. I also use lightweight desktops (LXDE or enlightenment).
I guess 256 frames should be enough for the RME given the system specs and this kind of use. Given that in the future I will use more midi, I would even like to go down to 128 frames safely.
So if any 9632 owner can achieve better results, please provide some info for your configuration and system ;)