Cleanup unused regions, delete unused audio ?

4 replies [Last post]
jeremy tranter
jeremy tranter's picture
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Is there a way to delete the audio for deleted regions? Menu item: Session/Cleanup only removes entire audio files.

Any suggestions or tips welcome.

thanks, Jeremy

seablade
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 42 min ago. Offline
Short version, no. Ardour is intentionally NON-destructive so it never changes audio once it is written to disk with exceedingly few exceptions.

Longer version is being discussed on the mailing list since it was posted there as well. Essentially there is no automated way to do it, there is an error prone way to manually do it, but I don't recommend it. And I am looking into enabling FLAC recording for such an occasion as then the silence takes up almost no space on disk.

Seablade

jeremy tranter
jeremy tranter's picture
Thanks seablade. I'm going to read all the comments posted on the mailing list and try out the manual method, explore the risks and see how secure I feel.

For the way I'm working I think the FLAC recording probably won't work because the "silent" segments contain some background noises.

The reason I'm interested in cleaning up unused region audio is I can save about 30% disk space which means I can usually archive a project to one DVD.

Best regards

Jeremy

seablade
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 42 min ago. Offline
For the way I'm working I think the FLAC recording probably won't work because the "silent" segments contain some background noises.

Trust me, I did some extensive testing on this and even with that being the case significant benefits were provided.

Seablade

Who tracks a LOT of live shows.

jeremy tranter
jeremy tranter's picture
I must confess that I didn't know about FLAC until you mentioned it today so I need to do my homework. Look forward to trying this when it becomes available.

Regards

Jeremy