MIDI workflow with Ardour 3

Hello everyone!

I just tried the most recent alpha of Ardour 3 and am amazed by how far we (that is, the developers) have come, I’m really looking forward to the beta/release!

Now that I’m beginning to imagine Ardour’s MIDI functionality as part of my future workflow, I was wondering about a good way of going at things with MIDI. Right now, I would set up the appropriate MIDI connections and have the MIDI tracks in Ardour play my hardware and software synthesizers. Then I create a bus for each MIDI track and add the plug-ins I want to use for that track. Does that approach make sense? I somehow feel it would be more natural to add the plug-ins directly to the MIDI track in Ardour but that doesn’t work with the plug-ins I use because only ones with MIDI inputs are allowed in the track…

I don’t know how Pro Tools etc. handle this, I’m just wondering what Ardour’s intention about this is.

Also, do I even need to bounce the MIDI tracks at any point when working with busses this way and exporting from Ardour?

Thanks for any help. :slight_smile:
Kevin

You should be asking this on the mailling lists most likely, as we have been requested not to discuss A3 on the forums in the announcements of the alphas.

Seablade

Oh, alright, I thought we just weren’t supposed to talk about bugs here. I’ll try the mailing list then

May I suggest putting a note to that effect on the Create Forum Topic page? It might help to prevent some of these discussions.

At this point the restriction will likely expire soon as we enter beta testing but the suggestion will be kept in mind, thanks:)

Seablade