Sidechain GATE???

Hi everyone, i am wondering if there’s any way to sidechain a gate plugin with ardour of if there’s a sidechain gate plugin already available.

Now to explain what i want it for in case this helps:
I want to side chain a gate for the Kick track so i can duplicate the Kick track, take it a few miliseconds back and make the gate in the main kick track take all the natural attack of the kick without getting that “click” of the gate opening when using too short attack.

Any workaround on this?

thanks in advance.

a sidechained gate could be usefull even for other tricks, for example, some use that plugins to “trigger” the kick by using a low frequency sinusoid gated by the kick transient.
it could be a good tool… hope someone could have the idea and the time to do that.

A gate with lookahead would do what you want, at the expense of increased latency. It shouldn’t be particularly hard to write one, but I can’t see any that already exist.

@lore: yes i actually saw a producer i know triggering a kick to the drums on my band using the kick recorded (he did it because the drummer was hitting the bass drum too soft and he didn’t like the sound comming out) in any case it is useful, i opened the thread because i thought maybe there was a solution for that already.

@fernesto: the lookahead gate would be the most suitable tool for your issues, as matt said. but for what i know, there is no such LADSPA or LV2 plugin yet.

a sidechained gate could be usefull even for other tricks, for example, some use that plugins to "trigger" the kick by using a low frequency sinusoid gated by the kick transient.

This post is super old… but figured I’d throw this out there. I was looking for the same thing in Ardour… a gate with a sidechain so I could pass a sinewave (low frequency) to the kick and get a little more punch. Although not available natively, the Calf plugins have a Bass Enhancer that provides excellent results for this very thing.

if you want more punch run your drums through a stereo subgroup and compress them.

the Calf plugins have a Bass Enhancer that provides excellent results for this very thing.

They also have a sidechainable gate :slight_smile:

http://openavproductions.com/artyfx/ - the ‘ducka’ plugin may do what some people want. I’m not up to speed exactly with sidechaining, other than in this particular example.

the Calf sidechainable gate can be used to achieve the technique listed above… The ducka, is a bit different…