USB Interface suggestions

I’m looking for an audio I/O for my Linux laptop with the following requirements:

• USB
  • 4 - 8 outputs (bal or unbal)
  • *must be able to reproduce low frequencies down to 5 - 10Hz *
  • portable
  • SR = 44.1, 48, 96kHz
  • works with Liquorix kernel

I am wondering if the RME Babyface works out-of-the-box with most Debian/Ubuntu based distros?

thanks for any advise or help!
kc

5 to 10 HZ??? Why such low frequencies? AFAIK I don’t think there’s anything out there in the standard audio market that can reproduce these frequencies, and if there is you will need good monitors that can reproduce them, and then again if you find monitors that can reproduce them, do you have the ears to hear that? (or most likely feel it?).

I am working on an infrasonic project for next year and need (at least) 10Hz which will be sent to a set of subs in a room

AFAICT the RME Babyface will go down to 5Hz but was wondering if

1- Babyface now works on Linux

2- there might be other manufs that have USB I/O’s that go down to 5 - 10 Hz

Ah ok, a scientific purpose a la “Mythbusters”, well I’m really not sure about common USB devices with such low frequencies, I use M-Audio Fast Track Pro and the range in it is 20Hz-20KHz

Good luck in your project…

no, it is not a science project - it is for a performance of some new experimental work :slight_smile:

what signals do you intend to send to the woofers? if it is just simple sine or square waves you might be better off by using an arduino. you can either program it to send some low frequencies or you could control it via puredata…

I plan to use band limited sine waves generated in pd

the rme multiface goes down to 5 hz even in 44.1 khz maybe that is out of your budget or you don’t have the expresscard slot. generally you are in a really bad situation with a usb2.0 audio device on linux. you are much better off by using a firewire device or rme expresscard.

haven’t been able to get firewire to work on my laptop - so I’m stuck with USB for the time being

sorry to insist once more. i would strongly suggest not to buy a usb 2.0 device to use with linux. maybe you can tell us what your problem with firewire is and somebody can solve it.