Creating recording group as a workaround to "takes/layering group editing"

A while ago i suggested the possibility of improving stacked layering for editing groups of takes, an idea looking to the functionality of editing in Logic where you while having diferent takes in the same track can choose what take to play when “without spliting” the regions.

When i suggested it someone told me that it is complicated because of the regions basics or something like that… now thinking about that i came up with this, i hope it helps a bit.

1. An additional and different kind of group specially for recording.

The idea of a recording group is to “name regions recorded with a special name and numbering” so Ardour knows which regions are each “take” and that way we can:

a. Select upper TAKE for a whole group instead of upper Region for each track independently of the group it belongs to.
b. Edit (trim, fades…) Takes instead of Regions alone which turns quite annoying when different regions in the same track share the same beggining and ends (like when you use Punch In/Out to record takes and whant to edit a take and you end trimming all takes).

1. Feature: Take Combining Marking.

The idea is to manage takes by “marking switch points” instead of spliting regions, that way we could:

a. Select places in regions to switch to a different take “without splitting regions” (and adding with this a lot of regions to the playlists and more regions to audio sources… etc…) which ends up being a more “ecologic” way to edit takes.
b. Switch marks could be moved, added and removed as normal marks are, so it would be very easy to use.

All this leads to other overall improvements like:

• Better storage using (less regions to audio source)
  • Less region info on .ardour file
  • Simpler region/take numbering
  • Easier and faster overall editing

Thanks for reading.

@fernesto: logic’s take handling is very new (last release, IIRC). we will be working on this post-3.0 (its already in the post-3.0 todo list)

Reflection…

This is exactly why Ardour rocks. Everything that can be a little bit better will sooner rather than later be much better. Thanks Paul for your hard work and for paying attention to peoples ideas.

I wish more people would help financing this project.

/Anders

[quote]This is exactly why Ardour rocks. Everything that can be a little bit better will sooner rather than later be much better. Thanks Paul for your hard work and for paying attention to peoples ideas.

I wish more people would help financing this project.[/quote]

Agreed!:smiley: This site truly rocks and it’s really good to be here.