Can ardour capture from firewire and output/monitor on built in soundcard?

I am able to get my presonus firepod working in Ardour but am running into a snag in that I can’t seem to hear any output from the computer’s built in sound card. Is this a Jack issue or an Ardour one? The Ardour online manual suggests that Jack can’t handle more than one audio device at a time. This seems strange for such a sophisticated piece of software. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Hish

@hish747: http://jackaudio.org/multiple_devices

Ok, I understand the issue now. I think I will run the output of the firewire and built in sound card into a mixer for listening purposes. I do not care so much that they are in sync because I won’t actually use the built in audio to listen while recording. I just didn’t want to switch listening devices/inputs when I for example fire up audacity, vlc, openshot or other non-Jack apps.

Thanks Seablade and Paul for the help…and obviously thanks for ardour Paul…it really is exceptional.

The Ardour online manual suggests that Jack can't handle more than one audio device at a time. This seems strange for such a sophisticated piece of software.

It is intentional actually, as to do good recordings with multiple sound cards you would need to lock their clocks.

Can you do what you want? Yes, but it isn’t completely easy. Look into alsa_in and alsa_out.

Seablade

Just so you know, both Audacity and VLC can output to JACK.