F16/CCRM/realtime

I’m probably missing something, I never had a problem with it on Gentoo, but on Fedora 15/16 I’m not able to allow RT:

kernel: 3.0.17-1.rt33.1.fc16.ccrma.x86_64.rt

limits.conf:
@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock unlimited

groups:
user in audio, jackuser, rtkit, pulse, pulse-access

result:
Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/89)(1: Operation not permitted)
(reported by qjackctl on jack startup and by all later started applications)

Same situation on 3 different PCs, 1x 32bit, 2x 64bit. (fedora/ccrma kernel makes no difference)
I’ll be very thankful for any hint. (I know, I should probably go elsewhere, but my problem is Ardour in the end and the people here tend to help, so I ask here)

Hi,

What do you use for a login manager?

gdm - fedora’s default

Hmmm,

It was a longshot, gdm should be OK, I’ve seen this problem occur with SLiM not having proper setup with PAM modules. I’m afraid I’m not terribly familiar with Fedora.

I run F16 with the stock kernel (3.2.9-1.fc16.x86_64) and i can run jack (jackdmp 1.9.8) in realtime OK.

I find it works only if I suspend pulseaudio when I launch qjackctl. To that end, I use this command:

[seb@akela ~]$ pasuspender qjackctl

Thank you for the tip, but it didn’t help :frowning:
Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/89)(1: Operation not permitted)
AcquireSelfRealTime error

not that this is a helpful comment, but why the move away from Gentoo?

@vtech: you may have a system for which this information is applicable: http://jackaudio.org/linux_group_sched

@Paul: Thank you! It wasn’t the cgroups problem, but another thing I noticed on the link you provided: limits.conf vs. limits.d (limits.conf is probably completely ignored on Fedora, but works normally on Gentoo)

I don’t get any warning anymore, but to my surprise, now I get more xruns then before. I’m really not sure, I’ll continue experimenting with Fedora. It’s nice and very quick’n’easy for the basic setup (as opposed to Gentoo), but when you hit the wall, it hurts.

@allank: I wanted a system which is easier to setup and maintain, as I’m using 6 different computers, including notebook with wifi and mobile internet, but as you see, I’m failing :-/