Cannot use compressor

5 replies [Last post]
analyzingfunny
analyzingfunny's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline
Hi can anyone tell me why I cannot use the Calf comp for a track. It says that it is a 2 input device and its a 1 input channel. How do I remedy this. Im such a noob. Anyone/?

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 2 days 12 hours ago. Offline
You are trying to add a stereo plugin to a mono track. There are 2 things you can do -

- Route your mono track to a stereo bus and insert the plugin on the bus.

- Use a mono to stereo splitter plugin. If you do this, you can then insert a stereo plugin, such as the Calf Compressor, after the splitter.

If you have LADSPA plugins installed on your system you should already have a mono to stereo plugin :)

analyzingfunny
analyzingfunny's picture
wow. thanks for help do fast. But I dont know what I am doing. How do route a mono track to a stereo bus?

nowhiskey
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 12 min ago. Offline
hallo,

this one is ok to begin with:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/index/?q=flossmanual

cheers,

doc

analyzingfunny
analyzingfunny's picture
cool thanks for the manual. But could you tell me specifically how to accomplish this.

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 2 days 12 hours ago. Offline
First you need to create a stereo bus -

Track > Add Track/Bus

Check "Busses" and make sure the Channel Configuration is set to stereo.

Next click on the track name at the top of the mixing strip and select "Track Direct Output(s)". The outputs here should be routed to the master bus. Click on them to delete them. Now you need to route it to the stereo bus that you just added. This will be in the ardour tab, which should be selected by default. Make sure to add both inputs, ie. bus name/in 1 should be clicked and it will show up in the out 1 window, then click bus name/in 2 and it should show up in the out 2 window.

Once that's done the signal should be redirected to your bus. You can then add the Compressor on the bus channel.

Do have a good read of the manual that nowhiskey linked you to. It is very good for getting started and should have a section about routing in it. Best of luck :)