Issue with monitoring: Stereo monitoring lost unless I add a third input and panning is compromised

1 reply [Last post]
kissthesky7
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2012-01-21
Posts:

Hello!

I am using Ardour 2.8.12 from Tango Studio repository on a modified 10.4 Ubuntu Studio base.

I noticed xruns even though I have jack settings at high latency 34 s! Also I started to use Gladish from "Tango Studio repo." I goofed not realising the probable source of my xruns (will explain later). I added an experimental repo ("Tango Studio Ladi Experimental") as they said it should be stable- and I did not add "jack-session". I was hoping the newest version of jack2 & Gladish would lower the xruns. It helped a bit but it seems to have messed up my monitoring in Ardour: Now all the left channels on tracks are muted (Input 1) but can still record. I have to create a 3rd input to get stereo working and I'm suspect that I may cut the dynamic range, and panning is now compromised.

Its alot of work of work for nothing and I am waiting for an answer on exactly what pkgs need to be removed to return to "normal". I am wondering if anyone has heard of this bug before and have any advice! All the outputs seem correct, and the issue is same if I just start a qjacktl session instead. Will try to post specifics like gladish and log errors and cat jack results etc....or does anyone know what I should be checking for?

I really hope it can be fixed as I'm quite sure it all worked fine before the experimental updates! But it is still possible that some earlier updates from the T.S. stable repos may have done it and I didn't notice...

kissthesky7
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2012-01-21
Posts:

All is well again!!

I had to reset one or 2 things in the monitoring in Windows with the Sapphire Pro 40 Control (mixer/router) and then all went back to normal. Haven't been in Windows in a long time so don't know why the settings had changed (settings are saved in the Focusrite's flash memory).

Before I realised that the left input straight to monitor output of the Focusrite was somehow muted, I went through the trouble of re-installing "jackd" and many related apps and dependencies. Also I removed the unstable repo and kept the stable one - but its probable that the "Unstable" repo had nothing to do with my issue...