I want to do this, with this gear, how?
Basically I need a clever way to set up my gear so that I can direct record the original, and processed guitar signal at the same time.
- m-audio 1010LT sound card. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT.html
- Boss BR-8 (yes you read that correctly, don't laugh) 8 track digital mixer with Guitar-In, Line-Out, and Digital-Out.
- An amp with the usual in, and Line-Out.
Currently I'm doing this:
I'm basically using the Boss as a DI Box for my guitar, and using some of the effects that it provides as well. I am plugging the guitar into the Boss, panning it hard-left, and have the left channel of the Boss' Line-Out going into the m-audio (Input3). The m-audio's Input-3 is then recorded by Ardour. This works, in that Ardour records the processed signal coming out of the Boss well, not complaints there.
What I want to do is:
- Record the processed guitar (i.e. through the Boss, using its effects), similar to what I'm doing now.
- Record the original, untouched signal at the same time.
- Use a feature in Ardour (if it exists), to somehow couple the two versions of the recording together, so that edits, trims, etc. made to one, are automatically done to the other.
I'd like to leave the amp itself out of the process if possible, I just included it in case it is somehow usefull in setting up this scenario.
Is any of this possible? Or do you have any other recomendations for how to achieve what I'm after? Thank-you.