downloading for mac osx, asking for 11x????

why does it say that requirments are only osx 10.3 or higher, yet when you try to dl it, it requires 11x?

because X11 (not 11x) is a part of OS X 10.3 or higher that for some reason Apple makes an optional component that is not installed by default. it is present on the OS X install disk and available for download from Apple.

do you know why when i go to install X11, there is an error saying it cannot be installed because newer software already exists on my computer? seems like a double edged sword.

Are you running 10.3 or 10.4?

Yes I just had the same problem (with a new Macbook). The ardour site says that X11 must be installed from the ‘Tiger DVD’. Do they mean the OS X 10.4 CD?

It means the disc you got from apple which contains the operating system you are using.

Yes. Tiger is the name for 10.4 and it was distributed by Apple on DVD.

I am having this same problem. I installed X11 from the Disc. But now Ardour is telling me that I still need to install it, and the installer says I can’t install it because there’s already a newer version. Am I doing something wrong? is there a way to uninstall and re install X11 and if so would that help?

I look forward to being able to run Ardour

I’ve had the same problem as well, did the recommended diagnostic using console. It originally came up with errors regarding 3 different files in the library > quicktime folder. Divx 5.component Motion.component and LiveType.component. I removed the files, and now i get this:

===== Monday, January 29, 2007 11:42:01 AM US/Eastern =====
button returned:OK

Doesnt seem too helpful.

I have had the same problem this morning. I’ve installed Ardour, JackOX (which appears to be running OK) and have installed X11 from the DVD but when I open Ardour it asked me to install X11 from the DVD. I have restarted my PowerBook G4, I’ve reinstalled Ardour and X11 but still no joy. Any ideas? I’m running 10.4.8 on a 1.25 PowerPC G4 with 512 SDRAM.

Thanks.

Could you try launching X11 manually before launching Ardour? Thanks.

Thanks for your comment. I tried many ways of doing it all to no avail. I then found a link from one of the comments in this forum to a Chemistry site about crystallography, http://xanana.ucsc.edu/xtal/xcode.html and that gives a link to an download of X11 which worked immediately and which I was then recognised by Apple as needing updating.
The problem had now been solved. I can see that many have had this problem - the solution appears to be out there!

Apple released an updated version of X11 approx 2 months ago. Intriguing that it doesn’t let you install the “old” version on your install DVD first.

i ave the same problem as well i didnt get any disc with macbook pro :frowning:
Cant install x11 on 10.4.9 can’t install it because there’s already a newer version!!!