http://linux-sound.org/audio/Get_On_Board_The_Blues.ogg

http://linux-sound.org/audio/Get_On_Board_The_Blues.mp3

Best,

dp

GMaq
GMaq's picture
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 13 min ago. Offline
Dave,

Great tune with an amazing vocal! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Would be a great tune to see 'busked' live I'm sure especially on a big 'ole 12 string acoustic. The only thing I noticed is the ride cymbal is a little bit 'phasey' sounding on the .mp3. Whether that is from the encoder or in the original track obviously only you can tell but that is a minor detail, thanks for sharing and keepin' the blues presence within the Ardour community.

DavePhillips
User offline. Last seen 3 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Thanks much, G, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've made the session available to anyone who wants to have a go at remixing it, four fellows from the LAU list are already taking swings at it. I'm eager to hear what they'll do to it.

Best always,

dp

GMaq
GMaq's picture
Hi,

Wow, I'm tempted to throw my hat in the remix ring as well, but unfortunately time is not available right now. I'd love to collaborate with you on a blues(y) tune sometime in the future though if you would have any interest in such a thing. Cover or original I think it might be interesting to see what our combined efforts could produce. Just puttin' that out there FWIW. In the meantime keep 'em comin'!

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 55 min ago. Offline
Where is the session? I'd like to have a go.

DavePhillips
Hi Ricardus,

Here's the session tarball, it's about ~350 MB :

http://linux-sound.org/misc/onboardtheblues.tar

Have fun, and please let me know if you complete a version, I'd love to hear it.

Best,

dp

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
Is this A2 or A3?

DavePhillips
Ardour3, latest version.

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
So when I opened the session it complained about a missing crash cymbal WAV file or something. I just ignored it.

Oh man! I put an hour in and have a real happenin mix going! I will have to wait to export it though.

wavesound
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Hi Dave
Now that really good love the vocals
you have that blues feel
would love to drop in some blues lead guitar!!

Nice one
Bob
(wavesound)

mcgruff
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
That's absolutely drowned in reverb but there's a good song in there:

http://ccgi.mcgruff.plus.com/~mcgruff/music-old/misc/onboard-1.0.ogg

Note you can use sends and an AUX bus to set up a single "room" reverb for all tracks (like I did here). I'll also wrap up guitar parts in a "guitar" bus, percussion voices in a "percussion" bus, and so on. Anything where you want to apply a common effect or where you want to adjust volume in unison.

Another trick for reverb is to leave the bandwidth at max and instead use EQ plugs where you have much better control. I high passed and low passed the signal quite hard before the (C plate) reverb. Low end in a reverb usually just creates a lot of mud and too much high-end in a digital reverb can sound pretty nasty. Incidentally, if you do like a lot of reverb, this allows you to turn it up higher before you start to hit problems.

DavePhillips
Hi Bob,

The session is there for grabbing, feel free to take it and run. :) Just let me know if you complete a mix, I'm having fun listening to various versions of my song (and learning some things in the process).

And thank you for your comments, I'm glad you like the tune.

Best,

dp

DavePhillips
Hey McGruff,

Great work on the remix, thanks for lending your talents to the production. I do often use the bus approach but in this instance I was hot to get the song recorded and didn't spend any time on the mix details.

Btw, in case anyone's interested, the vocal was a first take, with no autotune or other pitch correction.

Best,

dp

mcgruff
Sorry I didn't realise who you were - you don't need anyone to tell you about buses :)

Nice song, well sung. Is that an original?

I'm tempted to try another version with some extra parts, if I get the time.

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
Here is my mix:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11283721/projects/onboardtheblues.mp3

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
Actually, it sounds like I am missing something in there. Wasn't there sidestick on the snare or something?

DavePhillips
Hey McG,

Yes, it's an original. Feel free to add whatever. :)

Best,

dp

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
What's this? No mix critiques?

DavePhillips
Hi Ricardus,

Don't worry, I plan to comment on every one of them. I'm waiting for two more mixes before making my comparisons. Meanwhile I've posted the remixes on KVRaudio, in the Music Cafe, but so far only a few comments have arrived.

Best,

dp

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
I was surprised that I didn't see anything come across LAU. There's usually tons of people who critique things.

At the end of the day, the critiques aren't necessary for me, I was just surprised that no one did. My mix is exactly the way I want it, except for the fake drums, and no guitar solo. ;-)

Matt Francomb
Matt Francomb's picture
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Great song, Dave. Here's my attempt at a mix:
http://www.glara.co.uk/dphilips/onboardtheblues_4cd_r1_Session.ogg
Hope you like it.

linuxdsp
linuxdsp's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 24 weeks ago. Offline
@Ricardus: Very nice - my favourite mix so far.

mcgruff
Everybody's using way too much reverb. I think the primary aim must be to try to make the individual voices sound solid and well-defined (easy in this particular case because it was tracked well). Too much reverb works against that by blurring everything up together, like trying to look at an old master through dirty, out-of-focus spectacles.

The rule of thumb for film background music is that if you're conscious of it you've done too much. It should just plug straight into the brain without the audience being aware of it - felt not heard. You don't want to distract the audience from the story playing out on screen, just imperceptibly guide their emotional response to it.

Same kind of thing for reverb. If you're aware of it, it's too much. As the producer, you're obviously going to be aware of every little detail in the mix so you have to try to listen in a more unfocussed way, like an "ordinary" listener would.

Of course all rules are made to be broken...

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
@Ricardus: Very nice - my favourite mix so far.

Thanks Mike, your PEQ and VC2 are all over it.

Buddhab
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
good work, now following on sound cloud

fernesto
fernesto's picture
User offline. Last seen 44 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Gonna try! xD immersive song i really like it, can't wait to finish downloading it

xD Thanks for sharing!

fernesto
fernesto's picture
User offline. Last seen 44 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
This is my attempt to mix a blues song

Leave a comment if you like it xD

http://ubuntuone.com/4hL4sKhghL29KNySzSg10S

DavePhillips
Outstanding work ! I suggest you bring the vocal forward a little bit more, I think the mix would be nearly perfect then. Fine work though, I'll add it to the remix collection. :)

Best regards,

Dave Phillips

GMaq
GMaq's picture
Hi,

Well this song is so great I just couldn't stay away so tonight I enlisted my friend and bass playing bandmate Pete and we 'got onboard' and did a remix of Dave's amazing tune with a few additional instruments...Dave's guitars and vocals are left as is, Pete did a bass track to complement my new drum track and I threw on some lead guitar and tambourine. Hope you like it Dave, thanks for putting your session up for us to monkey around with. :-)

Have a listen here:

http://www.bandshed.net/music/Get%20On%20Board%20the%20Blues%20Remix_Session.mp3

Comments, questions and critiques welcomed!

GMaq
GMaq's picture
OK,

I had a hankering to try a B3 organ on this as well (although keyboards are certainly not my forte) and in the meantime I also made some other minor adjustments to the mix. I think I can leave it alone now......maybe

New updated mix here: http://bandshed.net/music/GetOnBoardtheBluesB3REMIX.mp3

DavePhillips
Hey G, thanks for the remixes ! I prefer the second, especially for the B3, it's perfect for the song. I'd put the guitar back a bit and give it some reverb, not much. I'd also punch up the vocal, it sounded more forward in the first mix. The drums are fine but I'd ask for more straightforward backbeat, keeping the swing though.

Man, that B3 is the sweet spot. I'm a sucker for that sound.

Thanks again, G. We'll get together soon on the Lemon song, I like your arrangement. I have definite ideas about the vocal. :)

Best,

dp