Plugins and noise (pops)

Hola!

First of all, I am new to Ardour and am enjoying the program!

I am running OS X, panther, and ardour 99.3 with my Firepod.

My problem is that certain plugins, (usually the ones I would use most–dyson compression, gverb and delay effects), are noisy. I get a lot of pops and cracks in the audio as soon as i turn them on. I thought that i was taxing my CPU, but I get it severe pops, always in the same places and constantly, even running one of these plugins on one track. I can use as many other plugins simultaneously with no problems.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

What buffersize have you configured for jack (in for example jackpilot) and which mac do you have?

i was running at the default 512 buffersize. my spec’s:
Machine Model: iBook G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.7f1

What does the DSP percentage meter in ardours’ editor say when you hear these pops?

Do you have the latest drivers for the firebox?

hi, i have the same problem - powerbook 1.5ghz, 1.5gb ram, osx tiger, presonus firebox. dsp percentage meter is around 6 or 8% or so. fiddling with jack buffer doesn’t help. extremely annoying. does anyone have some ideas how to solve this?
thanks!

afaik firebox uses only generic apple firewire audio driver, this means presonus offers just some mixing&gainsetting utils, no driver. well, this would mean there is some compatibility problem right somewhere on the line ‘presonus soundcards (pdavid has also presonus!) – core audio – ladspa – ardour’. with my firebox i haven’t experienced any problems of this kind with vst (in renoise or live, for example), so it seems that ladspa or ardour doesn’t like presonus (or vice versa).
or does anyone have similar troubles with other soundcards too?

You should try to debug this situation with the help of jack developers. I suggest you (both) come on irc (#ardour on irc.freenode.net). There are ardour and jack developers on the channel, and people using the software on macs. On irc it’s a lot easier to provide online help for problems like these.