I cannot install

6 replies [Last post]
papatee
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
I just purchased this software and could not install it on ubuntu 11.4, any step by step installation info please? I ma new to this ubuntu environment.

mk1967
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 38 min ago. Offline
Hello :-)

In which way did you try to install Ardour? (Which version...?)

Normally it should work if you use Ubuntu's software center. There you will get a stable version like 2.8.12 (or a smiliar one). It's the easiest way.

If this shouldn't work - maybe your might try (just to give it a try) to install a beta version, e.g. this
http://ardour.org/files/Ardour_32bit-3.0beta5_13072.tar
- First download it.
- After download is finished, just unpack it (using the archive manager).
- Then open Nautilus (or a similar file manager), go to the unpacked folder and look for "install.sh" file.
- Open a shell and use the "cd" command to go to the folder where "install.sh" is located.
- Then type "./install.sh" and press "enter". The installation should start and proceed automatically. :-)

By the way, if you go the second way, maybe you have to install Jack manually... (but I'm not sure because Jack was already on my system when I tried a beta version of Ardour for the first time.)

Excuse me, I'm no native English speaker ;-)... I hope I've described it correctly...

Michael

seablade
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 10 min ago. Offline
The second method mk1967 described is the preferred method for the record, at least when dealing with Ubuntu, which tends to break things in their repos, and especially in older versions of Ubuntu like 11.04.

papatee
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks your suggestion works very well.really appreciated.
can you advice how i can download plugins?

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 3 days 9 hours ago. Offline
I had a quick look at Ubuntu Software Center and i'm not sure how to download plugins from there. I prefer synaptic package manager for downloading software/packages. If you look for synaptic package manager and download it (in the software center) that it'll make things easier for you. Once you have it downloaded, load it up and search for ubuntu studio. It will return you a list of all packages related to Ubuntu Studio. If you select the "ubuntustudio-audio-plugins" package and click apply it will download a load of plugins for you that will automatically show up in Ardour next time you load it up.

All this should work ok but if you do want to get more serious with recording and you want to stick with Ubuntu based distros, there are KXStudio and Dreamstudio that would serve you better. Best of luck.

linuxdsp
linuxdsp's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 22 hours ago. Offline
if you do want to get more serious with recording...

http://www.linuxdsp.co.uk/

Plugins which work with Ardour on just about any distro (demos available, comprehensive manual and installation instructions, free online support, simple 'single click' installer, linuxVST, JACK and LV2 versions available)

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 3 days 9 hours ago. Offline
^ those ones aswell :) If you install plugins from the package/software manager you're going to spend ages sifting through them to find the ones you like. There are some very good ones but if you want good go to plugins i wouldn't hesitate to recommend LinuxDSP's ones. They are good, high quality plugins and are priced very reasonably when you look at what else is out there. As LinuxDSP mentioned, you can demo them first to see if you like them and they're quick and easy to install. No reason not to at least try them out :)