Audio output with Ardour

7 replies [Last post]
kkoistinen
User offline. Last seen 1 year 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hello everyone,

I suppose this is pretty basic but anyway... I have problems playing files with Ardour. I have imported WAV-files to project and when playing graph indicates that music is being played but I can't get any sound out. What should I do?

Kimmo

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 2 days 12 hours ago. Offline
What do you mean when you say graph? I assume you must mean the meter on the fader? If that's what you mean, the audio is coming out of Ardour. It would make me think that maybe you haven't the correct interface selected? If you open up Qjackctl and go to setup, check which interface is selected. Which interface are you using by the way? If you click the arrow to the side of the interface drop down menu it should give you your interfaces by name so you can identify them. Hope this helps.

kkoistinen
I meant the meter on the fader when I wrote graph. I have got only one interface selectable from Ardour session control. It is ALC1200 Analog. Qjackctl shows "Default" as interface. There are options and I went through all the options but managed to get no sound.

Meter still displays sound coming out. In qjackctl I have no possibilities to choose ALC1200 Analog.

Kimmo

LeatusPenguin
Is the master fader showing a signal? On the master fader strip, just above the comments box (should show something like 1/2), make sure that it is being outputted to your interface.

What version of Ardour are you using? I looked up briefly about your soundcard and some people have reported problems with getting sound from it. What distro are you using? I found this on Ubuntuforums if it helps -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7279149#post7279149

kkoistinen
I just noticed that I wrote some erraneous information. Sorry.

I have taken WAV-loop to the Ardour. When I click play bar next to WAV-loop name starts to alternate. Meter, tempo, range markers, loop/punch ranges, cd markers and location markers don't display any information when I start to play.

So meter only has 4/4, underneath it is 120,00. Both of the numbers have red marker in front of them.

Ardour version is 2.8.12. All the other music files play correctly, e.g. in rhytm box.

Kimmo

LeatusPenguin
I'm not sure i understand what you mean. Where did you install Ardour from? It's up version 2.8.14 which you can download from the website here. Could you try installing that and seeing if the problem persists. It is the preferred way of installing Ardour. Sometimes builds of Ardour from repositories can cause problems.

cajmere
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 46 min ago. Offline
Did you connect The output of the masterbus to your fysical output on your soundcard that you selected al device?
You can do this easy with qjackctl.

mk1967
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 16 min ago. Offline
Hello Kimmo,

as for routing and connecting the tracks and master bus etc. maybe it might help you to look into the Ardour manual:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/ch024_understanding-routing/

I was just about to start describing how I have solved those problems, but unfortunately I only have the German version of Ardour, so I fear I wouldn't use the correct English terminology... :-)

Good luck
Michael