Automation of send volumes

6 replies [Last post]
Erdie
Erdie's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline
Is there a way to apply automation on sends? I did not find it up to now. This would be very useful while using convolutoin engines for instance in a bus.

cajmere
User offline. Last seen 2 days 6 hours ago. Offline
In A3svn it is possible. Create a external send on a track.
Do right click in the 'trackcontrol' view on the track where you placed the send.
Choose Automation' > plugins > Send > fader.

I don't know if A2 has it to, but maybe it's the same if it is possible.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 30 min ago. Offline
not possible in ardour2.

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline
You don't necessarily have to create an external send to use this feature in Ardour 3. You can route the track with "new aux send" to any bus you have set up and it will also show up in the tracks automation.

Erdie
Erdie's picture
My situation is like this:
I am working of an radio play. The actors are walking through many rooms. Every room is generated with a bus where a convolution reverb is placed. I need a mechanism to handle the volume which is sent to these busses only during a certain period of the whole project. I will be an overkill when i create a bus with an impulse response for every actor in different situations. Therefore I want to create only 1 bus per room. But then i need the possibiliy to control to send volume for every track of every actor. Currently my idea is to create a separate bus where I route the signal to these IR busses. This separate actor related bus could be controlled by automation. That means i will get many busses but this should not a performance problem. Do you have annother idea?

Erdie

seablade
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 40 min ago. Offline
To toss another possible answer, is Mixbus a possibility for you? You can automate mixbus sends, giving you up to 8 automatable solutions for this.

Finally in A2, you can send first to a bus, then automate that bus fader and have that bus output direct to your reverb bus[s]. This is a bit kludgy as it means a LOT of busses, but thankfully an empty bus doesn't take much processing.

Seablade

Erdie
Erdie's picture
Oh Yeah, thats really what i tried to explain but possibly my english ist not good enough. I will go the way with many busses. Since i can hide them, it should not be a problem.

thank you
Erdie