I've had Ardour on my various Debian boxen for years, but never had a box powerful enough to use it. Mostly I've got old laptops around here.
But I now want to seriously use it, along with specimen and ams and a bunch of other DeMuDi type software.
What do y'all recommend I buy?
- What CPU (Athlon still recommended, as docs say?)
- What MOBO (I understand VIA sucks, but which *do not* suck?)
- What Digital Audio card? Especially for analog input. Or, should I get a card that takes ADAT input and then ge t a digital mixer to do my D/A for me?
- What drives? Is SCSI or IDE/Firewire still recommended (as docs say), or is SATA better/cheaper for these apps?
- What MIDI card? I understand that the USB cards suck, but which ones suck not?
- Are old Matrox cards still the best for "playing nice" on the PCI bus? Or do the new AGP cards and onboard video work just fine nowadays?
If you were to build a PC to run Ardour simultaneously with other Linux music apps, what would you put in it?