Mac OS Plugin Installation

1 reply [Last post]
PeterTL
User offline. Last seen 2 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

I installed version 2.8.14 and read some documentation on the plugin handling. As far as I understood adding plugins to Ardour is as simple as putting the plugin file to the appropriate plugin folder. This is what I did:

1. Downloaded a plugin (.component file)
2. Put the file to /Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
3. Restarted Ardour
4. Tried to add the plugin via the Ardour Plugin Manager

I expected to find the newly added plugin in the Plugin Manager but unfortunately it is not there. I tried the same with a VST plugin but this also won't show up. Putting the plugin file into the user Library folder also did not do the trick. After that I dug a little bit deeper and found out that the built-in plugins are in the app bundle (ctrl-click the app and select Show Contents). Nevertheless, it did not help to put any downloaded plugins into the app bundle.

I would be glad if someone pointed me into the right direction how to add plugins to Ardour. Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter

seablade
User offline. Last seen 47 min 5 sec ago. Offline
A couple of things...

1. /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components is the correct place for AU plugins only, VSTs go in their own folder.
2. Ardour on Mac OS X does not use VST plugins, only AU or LADSPA
3. If you are looking to install LADSPA plugins they would go in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA
4. If you are dropping plugins into any of these folders as a different user or authorizing as an admin user when you are logged in as a regular user, you may have a permissions problem. This is the most common problem I find on multi-user systems.

Any of that help? If not try to catch me on IRC (Help>Chat in Ardour) and I can see about helping you more.

Seablade