use a synth

19 replies [Last post]
iacoposk8
User offline. Last seen 1 year 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hello everyone! how do I use this plugin to make it sound of ardor
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/synthv1-by-rncbc

MattHood
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
Where are you? Do you need help installing? Adding the plugin to a track? Using the plugin? Or is it not working?

iacoposk8
I managed to install ardor without problems, but I can not import this plugin and then I'd like also to make it sound, but I can not :(

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
So when you go to add it as a plugin it's not showing up in the menu, correct? How did you install it? I'm assuming you are using Ardour 3? Can you give us more information please.

iacoposk8
use ardour 2.8 but do not know the steps to do to add a plugin lv2

LeatusPenguin
Ardour 2 doesn't have a midi sequencer. If you want to do that you'll have to try out Ardour 3, which does. It should have a final release coming up soon. Until then, you can download beta 5 on this website, which is pretty stable already. If you have the synth installed on your system, open up Ardour 3 and when adding a track,choose to add it as a midi track and you will also have the option to add what synth you want to use on that track.

If you want to add lv2 plugins, or any other plugins, in Ardour 2, right click on the black area of a channel strip and it will give you a menu to choose your plugins from.

Midi sequencing is one of the big new features in Ardour 3. It is not possible to do in Ardour 2. However, if you do want to record a synth and not the midi information into Ardour 2, that is possible by loading up a standalone synth and routing it into your track on Ardour via Jack.

iacoposk8
--------------------------------quote--------------------------------
If you want to add lv2 plugins, or any other plugins, in Ardour 2, right click on the black area of a channel strip and it will give you a menu to choose your plugins from.
--------------------------------quote--------------------------------
This menu does not appear in this synth, as I insert it?

perfect! then dump them ardor 3.
when will the release of the stable version?

LeatusPenguin
Do you mean that the synth isn't showing up in the menu? How did you install it?

When will Ardour 3 be released? When it's ready :P There is an announcement by paul in the news page that you can check out. We shouldn't have to wait too much longer though hopefully :)

iacoposk8
I do not know much about these plugins. I know the vst that was enough to paste them into a particular folder .. of ladspa and lv2 so I do not know anything ... give me pointers on how to do :)

LeatusPenguin
What distribution are you using? If you are using Ubuntu you can add Kxstudio's PPA as the plugin in included there. If not, there are build instructions on synthv1's sourceforge page -

http://synthv1.sourceforge.net/synthv1-index.html#Installation

iacoposk8
I have ubuntu, how do I do this thing that you told me?
and these instructions go well for all plugins?

LeatusPenguin
Go to this link-

https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-team/+archive/plugins

Click on "read about installing" and follow the instructions. When you have it installed and refresh your repositories, you will find that plugin in your package manager. There are also some other good plugins that you can download if you add that PPA.

Then when you right click on the black strip in Ardour, it should show up in your plugin list.

Hope this helps.

iacoposk8
but all the plugins are installed? you can not drag and drop like the vst? (even changing the type of plugin, I do not have to use force to lv2)

iacoposk8
in practice, I would add a plugin in this list if there is an easy way :)
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/iacoposk8/Schermatadel2012-12-01090900.png

LeatusPenguin
I'm not sure i know what you're asking. If the plugins are installed they will show up in the plugin manager list.

Regarding drag and drop, you can move LADSPA plugins into a LADSPA folder and LV2 plugins into a LV2 folder (/usr/lib i believe) but they need to be compiled first and you need root access to the folders.

What did you mean by this? -

"even changing the type of plugin, I do not have to use force to lv2"

iacoposk8
but must be completed by all end? there is no plugin with a install.sh or. deb?

LeatusPenguin
Linuxdsp plugins come with single click install files. Other than that, you'll either have to get plugins from your distros repositories or build them yourself if they're not available from there. As for synthv1, according to its sourceforge page, it's still in alpha so you'll have to either build it yourself or add the kxstudio repositories and install it from there. The latter would be the easier option.

Go to your terminal -

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kxstudio-team/plugins
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synthv1-lv2

That will install the synthv1 plugin. There are loads of other plugins that it add to your package manager list that you can browse too. Hope this helps.

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 52 min ago. Offline
Ubuntu packaged a ton of plugins into one DEB file. It's called Ubuntu-studio-plugins or Ubuntu-studio-audio-plugins or something like that.

LeatusPenguin
@ Ricardus - The package in Ubuntu is ubuntustudio-audio-plugins. It pulls in a lot of good plugins but it's not completely up to date. I mostly use AV Linux but always have ubuntu installed on another one of my towers. I think having KXStudio PPA's on a ubuntu system is a good idea if you're using Ubuntu for audio work. The KXStudio plugins PPA has a lot of plugins that aren't included in ubuntustudio-audio-plugins package and they are a lot more up to date. For instance, you won't find the synthv1 or the other Rui plugins in the ubuntu repositories. It also has a lot more of the newer LV2 plugins. It's the easiest way for someone using Ubuntu to get more up to date plugins without having to compile them.

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 52 min ago. Offline
Tell iacoposk8, not me. :-)