[feature request]plugins search

[i have already posted a message about this yesterday but i doesn’t show, don’t know who you]

So I thought that a search field in the plugin selection dialog would be really helpful when looking for a particular plugin. In many audio software, you have to go through lots of menus to find which one fits the best, and I think it would be a little plus for ardour.

Would that be possible?

you mean sth like in om-synth?

you tipe “compr…”, and it will show you all the availible compressors?

thats pretty comfortable in om!

cheers,
doc

I never tried om-synth, but what you describe is just what I meant :wink:

This is already possible in 2.0. Just start writing in the new plugin dialog.

The search is currently a “move cursor to the plugin which starts with the letters you wrote” kind, not the filter kind. We will probably move to a filter approach when the more pressing matters are fixed.

Thanx for the answer!

And BTY, just for the info, do you plan to make the aux send gain more accessible? It’s not that crucial, but many people tell me they are bothered by the fact that you have to close and reopen the aux send dialog to access the gain, while on many software you can change the gain directly from the mixer window…

hey, very usefull function, works good here!

cheers,
doc

Send gain accessibility is a long standing issue. We will address the issue after 2.0 is released.

A couple of days ago on IRC we discussed the possibility of adding metadata “tags” to the plugins and allowing the user to apply and search for arbitrary tags.

For example you would tag a plugin with the terms “gritty, distortion, mono” and then a search for any of these terms would highlight the plugin.

Would that solve the problem?

-Ben

That would be even greater! But it means every plugin has to be tagged, which will take much time; to me, the best solution would be to allow searching through plugin names, types, and tags.

i think there should simpy be the possibillity to add folders to the pluginlist. so anyone can make his own sorting system.

that would make it a lot eaysier to find whats needed.