Syncing Ardour with Hydrogen

7 replies [Last post]
dynaMIX
User offline. Last seen 1 year 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hello everybody!

After years of using proprietary software for music-production (and only music-production), i finally want to move to opensource.
Since i saw the big improvements in the last years, i know this won't be that hard anymore :-)

I want to use ardour for recording and mixing, but for live-routing as well. I'm working as live-soundengineer and like to use FX-plugins.

Now i'm trying to sync a Hydrogen-Project with Ardour. I don't want to record Hydrogen to Ardour. I just want to route the Hydrogen channels to Ardour, use some plugins on them and finally make an export.

With gladish/jack2 i've connected all outputs from Hydrogen to seperate inputs from Ardour.

I set Ardour to "JACK" and Hydrogen to "J. TRANS". This works perfect for recording. But when i just hit "Play" in either program, there is only silence but i see the transport is working in booth programs. Only if i stop playback, i hear the end of the samples from Hydrogen. If i activate recording on a track in ardour and playback, it indicates the input of signal, but doesn't send it to the master.

Is there a way to achieve what i'm trying to do? It would be nice to do this without the detour of recording it first to Ardour.

Thank's a lot in advance for your answer!

seablade
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 42 min ago. Offline
Try using busses in Ardour for your hydrogen tracks instead of tracks.

Seablade

dynaMIX
Thank's for the reply!

I was trying this already and it worked. But i was hoping to find a solution where i could record it to ardour if necessary, without changing the whole routing.

But it seems i have to go with busses.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 47 min ago. Offline
@dynaMIX: in ardour2, it is hard-wired that a track that is not recording will monitor from disk (its a bit more complex than that, but that is a reasonable summary for your purposes). you therefore cannot hear the inputs of a track while it is playing unless you are recording on that track.

in ardour3 monitoring can be manually switched (forced) to be either the input signal or the disk.

dynaMIX
Thank you very much, Paul!

So i'm looking forward to a stable release of ardour3 :-)

Regards

dynaMIX
Sorry for bothering again...

I just realized, that i'm not able to export the project this way. During export, transport changes from "JACK" to "internal" and it writes an empty *.wav-file.

Is this expected behaviour?

seablade
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 42 min ago. Offline
@dynaMIX

Bounce it in realtime to a seperate track. So output your Master Outs to a seperate track that you record to and just start transport. Make certain that track is muted or not connected to the Master Outs so you don't cause a feedback loop.

Seablade

dynaMIX
@seablade

Too obvious :-) Thanks a lot!