Cannot open project after export

Howdy all,

I have been getting used to using Ardour in just the past week, I’m brand new to it. Seems like a very flexible and powerful program.

I’ve hit a couple of roadblocks getting Ardour up and running, but through some sleuthing and perusing the forums here I was able to find some solutions.

This next one has me dumbfounded.

I was working on a song of mine, total about 6 tracks. I save the project, then decided to export the project. I did not read up on the export process, so it was my fault for not ‘checking’ the master outs, and I got a .wav file that is silent. Okay, no prob, go back in and export with the right settings. However, I no longer have the ability to open up the project successfully.

As soon as I open up the project, I get the following error:

[ERROR]: could not reconstitute MementoCommand from XMLNode. object type = N6ARDOUR13AudioPlaylistE id = 1164
[ERROR]: could not reconstitute MementoCommand from XMLNode. object type = N6ARDOUR13AudioPlaylistE id = 1164

I did a search on this error and the closest I could find were threads about just ignoring the error. I’d love to ignore it, but after this comes up, the project has no audio. It is registering on the input meter, but absolutely zero sound. In this state, I try to export again, using more correct settings, and I am still left without an audible .wav file.

In this condition, if I open up a new project, mess around, then export using the correct settings, I did get it to work. I can also save the project, close it, and re-open it just fine, so it is isolated to this one particular project. It won’t be a huge deal if I have to redo the project, but I’m not sure how I’m going to trust Ardour if I record a project and then randomly encounter errors to which I can no longer listen to it or export it.

Has this error come up before? Is there any way to get my project back and working?

Thanks for you help and patience, as I am still very, very new to this. Thank you again for any response and help you can offer. If you need more information, just let me know what I can provide.

Thanks!

-Dave

version?
platform?

Paul,

I appreciate your response. I am running:

ardour 2.8.14
(built from revision 13072)

And it is on AVLinux 6.0.

I am going to go step by step through what I did yesterday and see if I can replicate what happened. Nothing was wrong until I tried to export, and I’m not sure how a failed export would have effected the project folder (the .wav file was not exported to the project folder, if that has a bearing), but it is isolated as I cannot replicate it if I simply open a new project.

BTW…up to the point of these errors, using Ardour was simply incredible. The effort in getting it to work has been worth it. It is a breath of fresh air and has made recording a lot more fun.

Thank you again, I appreciate it.

-Dave

Hi,

So if I understand correctly, the project still opens but you get the error log when opening it and no audio? Are there visible output levels on the 6 individual tracks when you play back the project? It could be that for whatever reason when you did the export that somehow the individual tracks got disconnected from the Master bus so you can’t hear them, if this is the case you may need to edit the connections of each track to manually reconnect them to the Master. If this ends up being the case then re-saving the project once you get everything routed again will hopefully fix that error message.

As far as reliability of Ardour, despite the bump in the road you’ve hit (which may be related to a glitch with the export) you can be confident that Ardour is quite reliable generally speaking. I will say since you mention using AV Linux 6.0 that you may want to give the Ardour 3 beta5 build on there a try, for MIDI stuff it is still quite beta but for straight audio work in my experience it is almost bulletproof and I have personally finished several projects using the version that comes on the AV Linux 6.0 LiveDVD. I don’t suggest the Ardour3 WinVST build on there but the regular Ardour 3 build is quite good.

If you are just getting started using Ardour you may also find it better to get acquainted with version 3.0 for better future compatibility since Ardour 3.0 is getting close to completion. Just because Ardour 3 has MIDI capabilities for an Audio-only workflow it isn’t any more complex than Ardour 2 and it also has many workflow improvements.

Just sayin’…