Delta B - Demo 2013 mixed with Ardour
with my band Delta B we recorded a gig live las year. We made a demo out of 6 pieces, of which we have 5 available as slide shows on YouTube. For me, the "Drägglacha Blues" is the sweetest song of the set, so go for it:
The lyrics are in the Swabian dialect spoken in the south-west [but not in the very west] of Germany. The video loads in the playlist with the other songs, so you can zap around.
The gig was recorded with a Tascam US 1641 on Windows XP with an old Cubase version. (The Tascam does not work under Linux). Tracks were transferred to Ardour. Technical details below.
All mixing, luckily not too much of cutting and other cheating, was done in Ardour. We used stuff from the LADSPA collection and the Voxengo Elephant Mastering Limiter (VST Payware). Reverbs were external, a Lexicon MX200 and a TC m350.
Videos/slideshows have been created using OpenShot.
Enjoy and feel free to comment.
And here's the technical details for the audio guys:
- Live Mixing Console: Allen & Heath PA12, feeding the Tascam US1641 via the Inserts.
- Recorded 48khz/24bit with Cubase
- Vocal Mics/Harp Clean: Røde M2
- Cajon front mic, Hihat mic: Røde NT5
- Cajon inside: Sennheiser E901
- Harp Amp Mic: Sennheiser E606
- Guitar: Line 6 Pod HD500 (DI-Out)
- Bass: SWR WorkingPro Amp (DI-Out)
- De-clipping of two tracks using PostFish before importing WAV files into Ardour
- All the rest in Ardour
- Used SC4 compressor on bass and vocals
- Used some HPF filters and "simple amplifiers" from LADSPA
- VSTs used: Voxengo Span Analyzer, since I don't trust my ears too much ;), Melda Productions EQ and Voxengo Elephant in the mastering project. The Melda stuff uses lot's of CPU, makes only sense with Jack2.
- Lexicon and TC Effects external for reverb and delays, wired up entirely digital via Behringer DDX2316 console and old RME Digi sound card.
- Fostex PM-1 MK2 Speakers as main monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro headphones to control mix independently from the room.
- Export in 48/16 for video slideshows, 44.1/16 for CD
What I've learned: Again, it was not cool using Cubase in the first step. I need to check for clippings more carefully (read lots of stuff about metering meanwhile, yeah, the analog meters just didn't show it!). The NT5 mics are capable of transporting very fast attacks, perhaps I should use some "slower" mics in the future. The mix doesn't have enough stuff in the presence region, on some speakers it sounds muffled, especially on the Genelec monitors which a friend of mine uses (out my price range....), hence next time I have to make those instruments a bit louder that have something nice in that frequency range.