Apply dynamic range compression on a region?

26 replies [Last post]
BourneShell
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline
In Audacity, I usually deal with speeches and before I finally "master" them, I "amplify" and then apply a little "compression" so the quiet parts become a little louder too.

In Ardour, I figured that the "amplify" option is actually "Boost Gain Region". OK, alright. What about "compression" ?

How do I apply the Dynamic compression on a region? Is there such a feature?

Thanks!!!!

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 19 min ago. Offline
Add a compressor to the channel that the speech is on.

seablade
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 25 min ago. Offline
If you only need in on part of the timeline of that track, utilize automation.

Seablade

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 56 min ago. Offline
or bounce the region (with processing) it to the region list then bring it back into the track. ardour 3 will have a technique for doing this in a single step. (oh, and then disable the compressor plugin or remove it).

DonF
DonF's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
It seems to me the OP may need basic information about how to use plugins. It may be entirely non-obvious to someone coming from Audacity to Ardour, what those black rectangles above and below the fader are for.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/ch040_using-plugins/

Don

anahata
anahata's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 5 min ago. Offline
the OP may need basic information about how to use plugins

Also to understand the difference in approach between destructive and non-destructive editing.

BourneShell
Ok, I will look into that... slowly I am "getting" about this non destructive editing.

By the way @Paul:

I just found your clone over the internet, his nick is AlienBOB...LOL
You guys look like a lot.
http://2.gravatar.com/avatar/0b2f6dffa0dba742c2714578b84b5ed3?s=150&r=pg&d=mm

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 19 min ago. Offline
ALIEN Bob.... it's all beginning to make sense.

BourneShell
OK guys, so I have learned how to add a compressor...

I added the "Calf compressor" and I immediately can tell by the sound it changed to a more boosted gain and compression.

But I want to figure how do I "see" the waveform or apply this modification onto the waveform, so that it can change visually.... is there a way?

Also, when I export the region to audiofile, none of the changes go in....

Help!

anahata
anahata's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 5 min ago. Offline
If you export the whole mix (not just a region) to a stereo file, it will have all the compression and other processing you heard while playing it back.

Adding processing doesn't change the audio in the region itself. It just inserts a processor in the path between one place and another, usually between the the track and the master bus. The processor runs while playing back, or when exporting the master bus, which is just like playing back but saving the result in a file instead of playing it in real time.

There are some actions in Ardour that actually save their results, like pitch shifting and time stretching. When you do that the result is stored in a newly created region - but the old region is still there with its data unchanged. Those actions are done by context-clicking the region, not by inserting a processor into the signal path, so they are quite different.

BourneShell
I figured that if I select menu context and choose FREEZE, it will apply the effect to the audio.
However, I am getting a segfault here. If I unfreeze, it crashes (F18).
But when I re-start ardour, then the waveform appears altered.

Is there a way to refresh the waveform visualization?

paul
paul's picture
@BourneShell: what version of Ardour and where did you get it from?

BourneShell
2.8.16 on Fedora 18 released just today. I got it from the official repos.
I would bet this is a Fedora bug for sure...

By the way, which distro do you develop on Paul ?

I was actually thinking of moving to Slackware for good...

BourneShell
I have experienced the same problem on ArchLinux, Ubuntu 12.10 and Fedora 18, with Ardour 2.8.14 and 2.8.16.
What I do is this: I choose a plugin, and then I freeze the region. Just by righ-clicking the region again, that I just froze, the program crashes away on all three distros. So it's likely Ardour issue...

seablade
I suggest filing a report on Mantis. (See the issue tracker link at the top of every page)

I would also say that it should be tested with the binary distributed on this site as well.

Seablade

PBuryk
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
BourneShell -
Yes.... Freeze/unfreeze crashed my 2.18.16 sessions fairly regularly. I got around that by installing 3.beta, which still crashes for some
things - (freeze/unfreeze... removing plugins from the track or mixing strips...and some other thing I can't recall at this moment).... but
far less frequently. Just remember to -SAVE - your work often!

All -
I, too, have been seeking a way to add processing to individual tracks and then - remove the plugin - from the channel strip.
Doing this significantly reduces by processing overhead which, in turn, allows moe to have more tracks in the project (I see some
serious lagging of mouse and keyboard commands when I get to ~40 tracks. Adding plugins will drop me down to 30 or so before
this lagging effect happens). Also... There are some things that I might do "up front" just to make the mix easier later on like...
add some compression (2:1 - 5:1).... EQ (push the high end just a tad)... add a slight reverb or echo for depth.... etc. I might also choose to
normalize the track so I have very litte to do in the way of fader adjustment during the the mixdown process. So the bottom line is that
I might have 2-3-4 processing plugins active on most of my channel tracks. That's a LOT of overhead! So being able to commit
processing in the track would really help me in that respect.

BTW... It's taken me about 2-months of "occasional" use to become more comfortable with Ardour. There really is a TON of stuff to
know about this tool!!!

Best Regards to All
Patrick

kelleydv
kelleydv's picture
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline
You want to understand the bounce feature, PBuryk. As Paul mentioned, it will be even easier in A3 to bounce in the way that you want. The current bounce functionality can achieve exactly what you want as well.

BourneShell
I just tested with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Ardour 2.8.12
The glitch does not occur. Freezes and unfreezes perfectly fine!

Going to install Slackware and compile from source to see if I have luck with 2.8.16

BourneShell
Installed all from SlackBuilds and compiled 2.8.14 from source. Freezing does not refresh the waveform and when you right-click the waveform right after, the app crashes. On all systems, this is the line dmesg dumps... Surely something went wrong, 2.8.12 does not have that issue as I tested.

[ 5908.697222] ardour-2.8.14[30659]: segfault at 268 ip 0000000000651db3 sp 00007fffa834d9e0 error 4 in ardour-2.8.14[400000+5a3000]

seablade
Make certain all your testing goes into Mantis.

Seablade

PBuryk
Paul / Kelleydv -

I'm seeing consistent crashing when bouncing w/ processing (I just reported this as a bug over on Mantis).
So I am very curious that both of you have recommended that I address my processing needs that way.
Presuming that I just don't know what the heck I'm doing here, would you please guide me through the process?

Ardour 3-beta5

Let's try the following:
- one simple audio track... any length should do.
- Calf compressor... simple 4;1 ratio
- DJEQ (just for simplicity.).. 9db high boost
Apply compressor to existing track
bounce to another track
Apply EQ to bounced track.
bounce to a final track.
final track should now have both, comp & EQ so I dont need to insert a plugin during its mixdown.

Exactly what steps would you recommend in order to accomplish this task?

Thanks!!!
Patrick

kelleydv
kelleydv's picture
Select a region in your session and go to Region -> Bounce (with processing)

After that, go over to the right and look at your Regions by clicking the tab and possibly dragging the viewer (I'm grasping for terms here). There you should see your audio file that you just bounced. You can drag it back into the session and replace the other region (I think you have to delete the original).

There is no need to do separate bounces for each plugin. You can chain plugins one after the other and bounce the region. (You can also bounce the whole session in it's current state by exporting from the session menu.

I don't get a crash on beta5, but if you continue to, you can practice in A2.

kelleydv
kelleydv's picture
actually, I deleted my beta5. I was testing this on 4, so I don't know about 5. (OS X)

seablade
OS X betas right now are far from stable, be it 4 or 5, and the OS X release will likely come after the Linux release as a result. It doesn't really surprise me there is a difference between OS X and Linux in this regards though, sorry.

Seablade

PBuryk
Kelleydv -
Thanks for your reply. I suspected that we might have been working from different configs and that is indeed the case.
I see, from my posting on Mantis, that there is an issue with bounce w/ processing and so I'm trying various work-arounds,
such as prepping my tracks in A2 first. If A2 bounce w/ processing works then I might just fall back and use A2... too bad you
can't just open up an A3 project with A2.

Very Best Regards,
Patrick

paul
paul's picture
PBuryk: A3 can open all the A2 sessions that we have tested with so far (though with some loss of information/settings because there are deep changes in some aspects of the program). If you have a session that does not load, it should be reported to mantis.

seablade
@paul

He was saying it is to bad the other way (A2 opening A3 sessions) can't happen:)

Seablade