Anyone know of a plugin to remove noise?

12 replies [Last post]
sandydlr25
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi, anyone knows a plugin to remove noise already recorded tracks for use in ardour?

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 18 min ago. Offline
Nothing that's good enough to actually use.

Jehan
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I don't know if that's appropriate on these forums to speak of another program, but I did this kind of thing with Ardour just a few days ago to clean very bad audio recorded with the crappy integrated sound card of my laptop.
I used the noise removal effect: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Noise_Removal

And it worked pretty well. So obviously the best is to have good hardware (sound card, microphone, etc.) so that you don't have to clean anything; but other than that, it is a nice use of Audacity.

Now I don't know much about Ardour or any other program (not even about Audacity). I am not a professional audio guy, so my opinion is worth what it's worth. :-)

seablade
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 50 sec ago. Offline
@Jehan

The short is it doesn't come close to comparing to professional solutions, it is vastly better than it was a few years ago yes, but still not much of a comparison.

But if quality isn't that important, then go ahead and give it a shot;)

Seablade

Jehan
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline
seablade: I have no other professional tool to compare, but if you say so. :-)
What is the reason for this? Are the good noise cleaning algorithms all under some patents so we don't find any of the good ones in FLOSS tools?

In any case, I imagine that if professional quality is that important, one would not record with low quality hardware from the start (well I guess I actually do see one case where you want to do this still for professional reason: when you want to recover very old recording, of high artistic quality).

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
Sophisticated NR plugins require a substantial investment of time and resources, to do right, and no one has been willing to do that, yet.

dbra
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 12 min ago. Offline
If it is just hi-freq-noise, what about an equalizer?

linuxdsp
linuxdsp's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 14 hours ago. Offline
@Ricardus: Any plugin requires a substantial investment of time and resources to do right :)

anahata
anahata's picture
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 58 min ago. Offline
"noise" is a pretty vague term.
Look at http://www.cedar-audio.com/ for a broad range of techniques for dealing with different problems that can all be described as "noise". (None of them is free, though)

The noise removal plugin that comes with audacity is good for tape hiss, AC power hum or anything else with a constant level and frequency. It works by subtracting the noise spectrum from the signal. It's useless for many other types of noise. I don't know if that can be made to work with Ardour.

Reducing randomly timed clicks and crackles like those on old vinyl records can also be done effectively by a quite different technique, and there are many software tools dedicated to that function.

tartina
User offline. Last seen 1 year 9 weeks ago. Offline
Gnome wave cleaner http://gwc.sourceforge.net: it's a standalone program and it does a good work

seablade
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 50 sec ago. Offline
@tartina

GWC tends to suffer from the, "It may be good but dang if I can figure it out" side of things. I haven't actually heard good results that compare to Izotope RX2 for example out of it.

@Jehan

Wasn't ignoring your question by the way, but others have touched on it, do you want me to go into details still?

Seablade

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
Yeah, I have yet to get GWC to do anything but crash on large WAV and AIF files.

When I have tried smaller files, and it didn't outright crash, I couldn't get anywhere near the results that the author shows in his demos.

tartina
User offline. Last seen 1 year 9 weeks ago. Offline
I had to compile GWC from source and tweak a little bit to get it, but I did a good work restoring an old cassette tape. You can't edit, cut files with it because it crashes a lot (I used Audacity for that), but I could remove a lot of hiss a clicks better than audacity.