Split Stero Track

I have a stereo track. Acoustic guitar. One side is the mic, the other the guitar’s pickup.

Can I split it into 2 mono tracks? If so, how?

Right click on the region in the track. There should be a menu item to slit the region into mono regions.

Hi there,

Your track is already splitted, you know :^) … ardour stores everything as separate mono files … try to reimport the files from inside ardour audio files directory one track at a time

Splitting stereo tracks.

I “right click” on a stereo track and the “Split” option is greyed out – it exists in the menu but is unavailable to be clicked upon. I recorded to the track after adding it from the menu “Track->Add Track/Bus” with “Channel Configuration” set to “Stereo” and “Track Mode” set to “Normal”. Any ideas?

Hi baltzell,
that ‘split’ option doesn’t split the stereo region into two mono regions. It ‘cuts’ the region into two independent stereo regions:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour/WorkingWithRegions
It appears greyed out probably because the edit point is set to ‘mouse’. Set it to ‘playhead’ or ‘marker’ and it should work.
Right-click on the stereo region and select ‘Make mono regions’. Two mono regions, one for each channel of course, will appear in the region list, so you can import them to separate tracks or whatever.
Good luck!

Right-click on the stereo region and select 'Make mono regions'. Two mono regions, one for each channel of course, will appear in the region list, so you can import them to separate tracks or whatever.

Hmm… I tried that last night as I’d recorded something on a stereo track and I really wanted it as two mono tracks. “Make mono regions” wasn’t greyed out, but when I clicked on it nothing happened.

Does some other condition have to be satisfied to make this possible?
(I tried creating an empty track and doing it again but that didn’t help)

[edit]: Ah - they might have appeared in the regions list where I should have assigned them to tracks. OK, forget that!

Yes, when you create the mono regions, the regions appear in the region list, not on the track. You then need to drag those regions where you want to on your time line, chances are you will want to create a mono track to drag them onto obviously.

Seablade

I always forget the solution and have to figure it out again: Right click on a “Region”, choose the first option which is the Region name like “Audio1-3.3” then in the sub menu choose “Edit” where you will now see “Make Mono Regions”. Your new regions have been created! To find them look in the “Tracks and Busses” in the side tab on the right side of your window. You then just need to create a new track and drag that region onto the track. Should be simpler :stuck_out_tongue:

To complete @Toadster’s detailed process, I would add that the side Tracks and Busses tab, aka Sources, can be find with View > Show Editor List or Shift+L.

Alternatively you also could just keep the stereo track as it is.
Instead, add two mono busses and connect the stereo track’s L output to the first and R to the second bus using the connection matrix. Then, do with those busses whatever you would have done with the splitted mono tracks…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.