Compiled Binary

Has anybody got a compiled binary of the latest Ardour with Midi/VST support?

These are the things which I would use Ardour for and I have never been able to get any version to compile. Translation: I’m a musician, not a software developer.

Can anyone help?

I’m not a coder (Certainly not good enough to claim to be anyway.)
In general with guides available here and elsewhere (the internet) anyone that can read and listen can compile ardour with VST. It’s prob not the easiest thing a non linux savy person will ever do, but it’s not to bad.
The VST SDK limitations at hand are not a good thing…

tim gorman
it director
petr-all petroleum
6567 kinne rd dewitt ny 13214

So basically, unless you are a software developer (or know someone who is - or least can get this beast compiled), all this new VST functionality is useless?

I don’t understand this as the SDk is freely downloadable and pluggins/instruments made with it are given away on the net all the time. I’m so confused. :slight_smile:

Good point…

tim gorman
it director
petr-all petroleum

It is illegal to distribute a binary version of Ardour with VST support. If you would like this to change please contact Steinberg and encourage them (politely) to change the licensing terms of the VST SDK to allow for redistribution. Until they do that (and they have indicated a willingness to do so), this situation will not change.

The problem is that Ardour is released under the GPL. To distribute Ardour you must be willing to make all the source code used to build Ardour available under the same terms as they were made available to you. If you distribute a non-VST version, this is not an issue - you just give someone (or are willing to give someone) the Ardour source code. But if you distribute a VST enabled binary, you cannot give them all the code because Steinberg prohibits you from redistributing their SDK. This is despite the fact that it can be freely downloaded by anyone. Steinberg didn’t bother to think that source code distributions of VST hosts would ever be an issue, let alone ones that used the GPL.

hi everybody :slight_smile:

i discovered ardour not so long ago and i would be veeeery happy if i could run my plugins.

the idea of the mail sent to Steinberg could be usefull: why dont you, the staff, write one so we can copy, subscribe it and send them?

We have already been in contact with Steinberg. It’s not a good idea to send them more requests - they already know what we’re about and why would we like to support VSTs.

I’ll edit my post…
…to not promote emails :wink:

tim gorman
it director
petr-all petroleum