Anticipated date for 3.0 on Mac?

47 replies [Last post]
mekv
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, was looking to buy Ardour 3 for mac - any idea of a likely release date for the binaries (more than happy to pay for someone to compile a tested binary of ardour for me - esp on a mac) ....

thanks
Mark

seablade
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 49 min ago. Offline
There is no 'tested binary' as A3 on Mac hasn't been released. It is still in testing, and will be so until it is released.

In as far as release date, it will be really when it is ready. OS X needs some extra attention to get things working properly on it and that still has to be done. Will it be to far in the future, doubtful, but it will still take at least a little time to do the coding and testing.

Seablade

thelip
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
this kind of feels like christmas waiting with bated breath for the release! i almost attempted installing and dual booting into ubuntu on my macbook just to tinker, but opted against it.

graphit
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
@thelip: I know exactly what you mean :)
Today I've installed linux on my wife's computer (instead on my mac) just to check out A3:)

seablade
@graphit

That is a good way to get in a LOT of trouble;)

graphit
@seablade
Maybe, but I thought of that and put some old HDD first :)

nixcamic
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Waiting anxiously for the OS X release too. I have it installed in Ubuntu but Linux doesn't support my interface so I haven't been able to do much.

Website says it will be released in April, so at least we have a max limit :) Still checking the download page ever day :)

graphit
Dear paul, don't let us wait any longer ;)

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 18 hours ago. Offline
you guys are way too excited. there are already excellent tools for doing audio + MIDI work on OS X :)

graphit
Nice try ;) Now give us A3 :)

JL
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi
I try (! ? ! ) to install jack 1 or 2 in a "mountain lion" MBP.... tried all downloads from the jack site.....
(Ive done this on a linux machine, was OK)
somebody has an experience ?
thanks
( Im in France )

JL
the link in:
If you only have a builtin audio interface and you start and stop JACK using Ardour rather than some other tool, then you must take steps to create an aggregate device
is 404

JL
I try to connect a digital signal coming from toslink in the analalog/digital audio input from the MBP and to route it to Ardour2...

paul
paul's picture
JL: you install JACK on OS X from jackosx.com ... many, many people have done this, so please don't make out that it is harder than it really is.

JL
sorry Paul
found the problems !
2 errors from me:
I started with http://jackaudio.org/download insteed of jackosx.com
the new piece of hardware I bought yesterday is unable to do what its suposed to do

seablade
JL can you give me the address of the page where you are seeing that dead link please?

JL
seablade
http://manual.ardour.org/working-with-sessions/the-new-session-dialog/audio-setup/using-more-than-one-audio-device/

JL
the link in:
If you only have a builtin audio interface and you start and stop JACK using Ardour rather than some other tool, then you must take steps to create an aggregate device

http://ardour.org/requirements.html

seablade
Patches going in now to fix that and one other case with that link, thanks much!

Seablade

JL
Hi, now, its OK ; thanks Paul
opt out of a K2500 -> MBP + opt out of MBP->DAT ( latency 128-256 for 8-16 tracks+ 3,4 multiband comps for test ( one of the challenges was to use the onboard sound from MBP)

JL
to be more precise:
in 10.8.3 ( mountain lion ), when jack ( last b version) is launched, the jack router is found automatically in the audio devices: no need to create an agregate device first.... thats why I was looking for not necessary things...

seablade
When started via Jackpilot, Jackpilot will try to use the capture and playback devices together yes. But that isn't the same as when Jack starts for the record.

Seablade

paul
paul's picture
actually, these days it is the same - jackd itself programmatically creates an aggregate device if necessary. it has not been necessary to define this for jack for at least 18 months or more. So if you start JACK from JackPilot, QJackctl or the command line on OS X, no need to worry about aggregate devices.

HOWEVER ... ardour will only look for, find and offer duplex devices in its own audioengine startup dialog. So if you want to start JACK via Ardour, and you want to use the builtin device, you need to first create an aggregate device. This is all described at http://manual.ardour.org/

seablade
Hmm glad to be corrected of course, I wasn't aware that Jack was automatically doing that now. I knew you could specify it on the command line, but that was all I knew about(Combined with Jackpilot of course).

Seablade

graphit
Any updates on this topic?

JL
it would be so nice....

seablade
It is still being worked on, that is about all the update that there is right now to my knowledge.

Seablade

graphit
I guess good things takes time...

nun_spits_fire
nun_spits_fire's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
very much looking forward to this.

sburt
User offline. Last seen 47 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Maybe, we'll see it in May?
I was really hoping to try it in April. Excited to try the new MIDI features.

graphit
OK, I just have to ask... Any date for full working version for Mac OS?