How to use Ardour with an external USB sound card?

6 replies [Last post]
jcuenca
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi,

I am trying to use Ardour with an external USB mixer (Alesis Multimix4) in Xubuntu.

In the xfce sound settings, I can turn off the internal sound card and use the USB mixer instead as an I/O. This works for all desktop applications. However, Ardour ignores this and continues to use the laptop's built-in sound card.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Ardour uses Jack and not pulse audio, which Ubuntu and it's derivatives use by default. The settings you are changing are for pulse audio. If you download Jack from the software centre, you can then start it up, select your soundcard from there and then when you load up Ardour, it will work with it. In fact, it should have installed at the same time you downloaded Ardour so look for Jack in the menu. If you start it up, select the setup button and select your interface from the interface drop down menu.

Also, seeing as you're using a Ubuntu derivative, it might be best to install the Ardour bundle from the website here. Ubuntu has a history of messing up Ardour builds. You'll have less trouble if you install the package from the website.

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
I should note that I meant qjackctl. It is a front end for Jack.

stratojaune
User is online Online
As said before, you will have better luck to start Ardour with Jack. Actually, you have to ! So, erase completely Pulseaudio before install Jackd (there's howto in Ubuntu forums, and in Linux musicians site)

Good luck !

dbra
User offline. Last seen 20 min 38 sec ago. Offline
@stratojaune: Don't confuse the beginner! You don't have to erase pulseaudio. He just haven't configured Jack to use his external audio-interface.

Smurf
Smurf's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Agree, no need to remove anything! Just switch what is used.....

stratojaune
User is online Online
Well... maybe you're right dbra & smurf, but here nothing is possible if pulse is inside the machine...