Pitch correction

5 replies [Last post]
fernesto
fernesto's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi guys!

i've been fooling around with the talented hack or autotalent plugin to correct some pitch issues in a session with terrible results, can anyone tell me a bit about how you've used it? got good results? recommendations?

jrigg
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
The best auto tuner I've found for Linux is zita-at1.
More info here:
http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/index.html

It's a standalone JACK client so you'd use it on an insert. It's optimised for the vocal frequency range, so it might not work on bass instruments. (Having said that I used it successfully on a distorted bass with a high harmonic content).

anahata
anahata's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 25 min ago. Offline
I've also got terrible results with free pitch correction plugins.

During my last project I downloaded a trial copy of Melodyne. It's a bore to have to copy the audio file, reboot into Windows, do the tuning, then reboot again and copy the files back, but it did produce excellent results. I might see if I can run it in a VM - if that works well I might purchase the "essentials" package.

It would be good to have a linux version - Melodyne's secret for success is that it doesn't work in real time - it has to analyse the file first, but then it can do a far better job of putting stuff in tune without making it sound like a robot (though you can make it do that as well). A free package that took the same "analyse first" approach could quite possibly do a good job.

Actually something I'd like in Ardour is the some help with the built in "transpose" function - if it could autocorrect a single note that would be much easier than me having to guess how many cents to raise or lower the pitch - or a preview function where I could loop a couple of seconds and adjust the pitch until it sounds right.

anahata
anahata's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 25 min ago. Offline
Just found Zita-at1 and tried it.
Great when it works, not so great when it doesn't... worth keeping though.

fernesto
fernesto's picture
@jrigg: thanks a lot, i'll look into zita at-1

@anahata: yes it would be great to have a good time-pitch feature in Ardour, i've been working this week in a studio that uses Live, and the time-pitch handling is just amazing, seriously no hassle at all, i hope this feature is taken into account eventually for a nice improve.

fernesto
fernesto's picture
I tried to use Zita-at1, couldn't get it to install from http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/zita-at1-doc/quickguide.html, however i did manage to install "zitaretuner-lv2" which is in DreamStudio 12.04's respository and worked as a ladspa plugin, no GUI other than ardour's standard.

I did work and did a good job bringing some tune to my crappy vocals, will need a lot of tweaking to understand better the actual implications of every parameter, not the ultimate solution of course but a great help indeed. Thanks jrigg!!!