Ardour3: can't create session in Documents, errors when starting with sudo

I have installed Ardour3 using the install.sh, and have created a sym link ardour3 in usr/bin.

Now when I start from the command line with ardour3 I am unable to create a session in Documents. I think this is the part of the console log that has to do with this error:

programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Butler @ 0x4aa6170
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::RouteGroup @ 0x4abde70
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Locations @ 0x4abe9c0

But if I start with sudo ardour3, (to, I hope, get around any permissions issues) I get this dump and startup fails:

bnd txt domain [gtk2_ardour3] to /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/share/locale
Ardour3.3 (built using 3.3-1-gfc0053a and GCC version 4.4.6)
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”

(ardour-3.3:4539): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:
No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.
PangoFc will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
‘/home/harrison/gtk/inst/etc/pango/pango.modules’
You should create this file by running:
pango-querymodules > ‘/home/harrison/gtk/inst/etc/pango/pango.modules’

(ardour-3.3:4539): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type=‘PangoRenderFc’, script=‘latin’

(ardour-3.3:4539): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type=‘PangoRenderFc’, script=‘common’
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_default.conf
Loading user ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui.conf
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/ardour_system.rc
Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_dark.rc

(ardour-3.3:4539): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file ‘/root/.config/ardour3/gdk-pixbuf.loaders’: No such file or directory

(ardour-3.3:4539): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file ‘/root/.config/ardour3/gdk-pixbuf.loaders’: No such file or directory
Caught PixbufError: Couldn’t recognize the image file format for file ‘/opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/share/icons/ardour_icon_48px.png’
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘failed_constructor’
what(): failed constructor

I am new to Ardour, but don’t mind getting into the command line and fixing stuff. I am new to Linux audio applications as well, but not to audio development in general.

Hmm the issue has nothing to do with sudo or not, but to be honest you should never need to run Ardour with sudo and that is more likely to cause issues.

Your issue for the second problem is this…

(ardour-3.3:4539): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/root/.config/ardour3/gdk-pixbuf.loaders': No such file or directory

Caught PixbufError: Couldn’t recognize the image file format for file ‘/opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/share/icons/ardour_icon_48px.png’

Pretty much running it as sudo it can’t find the loader for GDK that is required. Chances are this is a problem caused by running it sudo more than anything as it is looking for it in the superuser’s home directory which shouldn’t have it. Answer is, don’t run it as sudo.

I would need the complete console log from starting it up as a non-sudo to help with what that issue might be.

Seablade

Sure, here you go (starting up without sudo and attempting to create a new session in Documents.
$ ardour3
bnd txt domain [gtk2_ardour3] to /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/share/locale
Ardour3.3 (built using 3.3-1-gfc0053a and GCC version 4.4.6)
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_default.conf
Loading user ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui.conf
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/ardour_system.rc
Loading user configuration file /home/dev/.config/ardour3/ardour.rc
Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_dark.rc
Cannot lock down 82274202 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Announcement is:
Found 0 along /home/dev/.config/ardour3/templates:/opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/share/templates
Cannot lock down 82274202 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Scanning folders for bundled LV2s: /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/lib/LV2
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::RouteGroup @ 0x31b2210
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Locations @ 0x31b2d60
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Butler @ 0x31b1d70

I’m also getting this in the Ardour - Log:

[INFO]: LV2: Discovering 195 plugins
[INFO]: Loading menus from /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/ardour.menus
[INFO]: Loaded mixer bindings from /opt/Ardour-3.3.1-dbg/etc/mixer.bindings
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot create thread res = 1
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/5)(1: Operation not permitted)
[ERROR]: JACK: JackClient::AcquireSelfRealTime error

It seems you have an issue with Jack, probably not being set up correctly. See here…

http://jackaudio.org/linux_rt_config

Seablade