A geekpop song made for Jaegercon

2 replies [Last post]
solarbird
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 44 min ago. Offline
Last month I made a Pacific Rim-themed song about kaiju (giant monsters) and mecha (giant piloted robots to fight kaiju) for an online fan convention called Jaegercon. It's rock-influenced pop, and a free download.

http://music.crimeandtheforcesofevil.com/track/kaiju-meat

The beat is an amalgamation of a couple of frequency-sliced stock Garage Band beats (slicing in Ardour, of course ^_^ ) plus a couple of drum elements I recorded live and looped; the guitar-like instrument is an Irish Bouzouki, also recorded live, processed to sound trashy and electric and kind of like a mid-1980s Duran Duran riff, and the Kaiju Is Coming solo during the breakdown is classic kaiju-flick inspired, made with very heavily distorted and scatter-filtered electric organ.

I threw it all together in about four days, writing it as I was recording, and had a lot of fun with it. :D I did undercut the mid-bass a bit much in the stomps during the bridge, tho' - it sounds nice and boomy on reference speakers and on traditional stereo speakers, but gets 'way more lost than I expected on some (but not all! Weird) earbuds and desktop computer speakers.

Enjoy! ^_^

GMaq
GMaq's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 59 min ago. Offline
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this, it's still making me smile. I wish the drums were a little bit louder but perhaps one of the tenets of 'geek rock' is to avoid silly conformist cliches like up front drum mixes... ;). I just really wish I could quit walking around singing 'Kaiju meat' and making up new lines to go after it though.... very addictive song!

solarbird
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 44 min ago. Offline
Yay, earwormed! Muah ha ha! :D

The song really is a free download, btw. Not just free to play it. All my stuff is free to play, but only some of it is free to download. I don't even ask for your email address for this one.

The drums... I am self-taught and not happy with my drum mixing yet in general. There's a drum solo in "Stay Away," on Dick Tracy Must Die, the first album I did (same link as above - it's all on Bandcamp, look on the right side of the page for the album cover), and frankly, it's not up front enough either. I don't seem to ... get how to make that happen. At least, not yet.

I think I've improved a lot since then, and am applying those lessons, but this still eludes me to some degree. So if people have suggestions I am for them. ^_^