write failed, drop flushed note off on the floor, time 4 > 0

7 replies [Last post]
mattismyname
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi All,

I'm brand new to Ardour and am trying to get some basic stuff playing through midi. The problem is that note-off messages are regularly being dropped and Ardour prints a message like this to the console:

write failed, drop flushed note off on the floor, time 332 > 0

Does anybody know what causes this or what I could do to mitigate it?

thanks,
Matt

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 38 min ago. Offline
it is a bug. it will be worked on. there is nothing you can to mitigate it. i am not sure of the full consequences of it at this time. i may try to get a fix into 3.5.1 (which needs to come out to fix a couple of other specific issues).

mattismyname
Thanks Paul! I'll keep an eye out for the next release. Good to know it is not a hardware issue.

So, I guess this means that downgrading to 3.4 would not help the issue.

paul
paul's picture
I've just fixed this issue. The fix is in our git repository, and will be in 3.5.1 out soon.

mattismyname
Thanks! I'll pull the git and give it a try.

mattismyname
Playback runs for a few seconds (with no dropped notes as far as I can tell) but then we hit an assertion:

WARNING: Stuck note resolution - end time @ 9.62719 is before note on: Note #11992: pitch = 57 @ 9.62719 .. 9.62719 velocity 127 chn 0

(ardour-3.5:7848): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_text_buffer_set_text: assertion `text != NULL' failed
ardour-3.5: ../libs/ardour/audio_diskstream.cc:621: virtual int ARDOUR::AudioDiskstream::process(ARDOUR::BufferSet&, ARDOUR::framepos_t, ARDOUR::pframes_t, ARDOUR::framecnt_t&, bool): Assertion `wrap_buffer_size >= necessary_samples' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
mattismyname
After restart, assertion failure does not happen...yay. Everything is working :)

paul
paul's picture
That crash is unrelated and ought to have been filed as a bug report with a backtrace from teh core dump. oh well, missed opportunities ...