USB mics and recording with ARDOUR?

Hello all, I’ve been a windows home recording artist for many years now. With the launch of vista and all that scary drm business, I’m seeing if its possible to move to Linux.

I’ve used Linux before and enjoyed it. Linux is now reaching a place where I think I can use it daily and professionally, so I’m looking to switch.

Does anyone here have experience in recording with USB microphones on linux/Ardour?

I use the Snowball USB mic ( http://www.bluemic.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Products&file=index&prod_id=18 ). I don’t know if its compatible with Linux or Ardour, so if anyone has used these before, or has some information, that would be great!

Thanks,
Mark

p.s. this is my first post, so sorry if it is in the wrong forum, please feel to move it.

If its a standard USB class compliant device, it will work with Ardour just like all the others. Remember that Ardour does not talk to audio h/w directly, that job is handled by JACK. Since the device is 1 way (capture only), you will need to start JACK with separate playback and capture devices. You probably will not get the latency as low with such a configuration.

If it is not a standard USB class compliant device, all bets are off. The simple way to tell is whether it comes with drivers for Windows and OS X. If it does, then its not class compliant. If it claims to work without driver installation, it should work on Linux.

Yup, no drivers, so thats great news! Thanks for the reply!

I know nothing about Jack, so I’ll go read up on it!

Thanks again.

Ardour - OS X v10.11.6 - I have a usb mic connected. on the Mac, input window, usb is selected - and it shows input levels - working. But in an Ardour track, the computer internal mic continues to work! ???

Answered in IRC I believe, short version is the wrong device was selected in Ardour’s Audio/MIDI setup dialog, longer answer requires aggregate device on OS X.

Seablade

@troonator: the JACK FAQ covers this issue.

Use Audacity…it works…just use the drop down menu to select your device, replacing the default which is probably your computer mic…

How do I use Jack in the way you suggested? i.e separate capture and playback? I cannot use my USB mic with anything in Ubuntu studio except Audacity…so how to do the settings you suggest for Jack???

Please explain

thankyou

PLEASE, JUST A QUICK DESCRIPTION OF HOW TO SET UP JACK SO I CAN ROUTE MY USB MIC WITH IT INTO THE APPS…

IS IT A =UBUNTU STUDIO= PROBLEM? I ASK AS OTHER USERS USING JUST UBUNTU WITH THE SAME APPS I.E GUITAR FX, SAY IT IS PLUG AND PLAY, AS IT IS WITH AUDACITY IN UBUNTU STUDIO

THANKS

BTW I AM WRITING UP A COURSE FOR TEACHING RECORDING AND MIXING WITH ARDOUR…WHICH I WILL POST WHEN COMPLETE…

MARKUSREHBACH@YAHOO.COM

TROONATNOOR.WEBS.COM