troubles with midi surfaces controls

21 replies [Last post]
angelnwi
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
hello

I appologize for my bad english. I use Ardour since many years and i love this program. I make lot's of advertissing for it around me.

since last update i have some troubles with my sufaces controls (bcf and br 2000).

first i have no more midi control out (for bcr2000). I have checked conf in preference menu. Control in work perfectly but no more feedback, even in the midi event windows. I have done many tests (differents sessions, packaged and self compiled versions) and no error message, just no midi out events.

then, in mackie control (for bcf2000) with files created with ardour3 between 3.0 and 3.5, when i change track bank on surface, ardour just close:
in evoral/midi_util.h line 97: assert((buffer[end] & 0x80) == 0)
I dont have this problem with new sessions or sessions created with ardour2 and converted.

I'm not able to find solutions by myself, all gifts are welcome.

Thanks by advance.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 27 min ago. Offline
i will look into this sometime after monday nov 25th, preferably at a time when you can be online on IRC.

realmonkey
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 hours ago. Offline
Hey angelnwi! I'm having almost the same "no midi control out problem" After upgrading from 3.4 to 3.5.74. Midi tracer yields nothin out, but other than that the bcf midi input works as normal. went back to 3.4 and all is back to normal. Will try to hang out on IRC and see if we cant figure something out.

Eyvind

angelnwi
thanks for you reply.
I will try to be on irc too. I had previously 3.5.14 and it worked fine, but i dont have sources no more.
For the assert function, i have try to comment it then compile. Of course, Ardour dont close no more and it seems dont have any trouble. Switching bank on bcf work now but i guess there is a reason to this line and surely something wrong in the midi buffer.

paul
paul's picture
angelnwi: what is your IRC nick? I am "las" ...

angelnwi
is there a way to download the 3.5.14 code source version? i have deleted mine and i dont find it anymore.

seablade
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 37 min ago. Offline
You can easily get it from git. All the versions get tagged in git.

Seablade

angelnwi
oh thanks, i'm an idiot. i forgeted the -b option.

angelnwi
Hi again.
I'm always in fight with my midi surfaces control. I have some troubles with mapping for my BCR2000 connected on midi control in/out.

1 when i bind a control with the ardour's learn function in an active session, it work fine. The binding is well saved in the .ardour file, i have checked, but at session load, all mapping is lost. Is it a known bug or i missed something?
2 when i change bank, i cant know in witch bank i'am. The simpliest way i have found is to assign the track/bus select function to a button for select the first track of bank from the bcr. But in all way i try, it not work. I have read the manual, but no way. What is the correct ligne in the mapping file to assign it to a midi control or a note?
3 i have a scale problem with some plugin control. I mean for example when i change the freq in an eq with a rotary, the scale of the rotary is 0-127 but the scale of freq is 20-20000. So when i move the rotary, low freq move really quick and high freq really slow. I dont know if it's linked to the plugin or if there is a way to change it in ardour.

At last, i'm looking for a solution to assign conditional function to a midi event. For example, when note on 12 127 and cc 5, do something. I have try with midiroute but it's not powerfull enough. any suggestions?.

thank so much in advance for the help.

paul
paul's picture
1. what version of ardour?

2. i don't understand the question

3. this is a plugin problem

dbra
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 56 min ago. Offline
@angelnwi: I think problem #3 can be solved by using MidiDings' CtrlCurve-modifier.
http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/doc/units.html#modifiers

It isn't that hard to write an appropriate script. Just look into the "Getting started"-section of MidiDings.
http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/doc/index.html

Hope it helps...

Carsten

halfsoul
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
I have this same issue:

1 when i bind a control with the ardour's learn function in an active session, it work fine. The binding is well saved in the .ardour file, i have checked, but at session load, all mapping is lost. Is it a known bug or i missed something?

Every time I open any saved session, the Feedback box is unchecked and the JACK connection is lost. Therefore every time I have to re-connect in JACK and then re-select the Feedback box, even though it was saved in a working condition.

Currently on Ardour 3.5.74.
Protocol: Mackie
Device: Behringer BCF2000

This functioned as expected in a previous version of Ardour 3 (Feedback restored automatically on session load), although I don't remember which one. I'm guessing 3.2 perhaps?

halfsoul
Okay, I installed older versions to identify the following...
Last known-good version:
Ardour 3.4
(built from revision 3.4-2-g4a135c8)

First known-bad version:
Ardour 3.5
(built from revision 3.5-36-gcfafa61)

angelnwi
Thanks for your answers.

I use Ardour 3.5.14 but it's the same with 3.5.74, i have try.

For my question 2, i mean when i change track bank on the console, i have nothing to tell me in witch bank i am. I have mapped the 8 up rotary to aux send from B1 to B8. so for example first rotary change the aux send of track 1, 9, 17, etc... On the BCF, in mackie mode, there is a button led on/off for each selected the track. I want to do the same thing with BCR using the midi mapping, is it possible?

@dbra thank you for the info, i will try it :).

angelnwi
well, i have try mididings and it will solve my questions 2 and 4 using it in midi pre-mapping between ardour and the BCR. It will expand the control capabilty of the BCR in a single bank significatively. For the plugin's scale, i have no solution for the moment. Maybe with the pitchbend control, the BCR emulate a pittchbend scale but between 0-127 and linear. I'm continue my search and tests.

dbra
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 56 min ago. Offline
For question #3: You can apply a gamma-function to your controller-values. This could be used to increase the distance the controller has to be moved for the low end and to decrease it at the high end. That's what you want, if I understood you right...

angelnwi
You understood right but the pb is on the plugin conversion between the midi value and the effective result. I have try the pitchbend control, it's more accurate but all pluggins i have check have the same type of scale: linear. Changing curve progression between the surface and the ardour's control in have no effect :(. The last solution i see now, is to modify the code of plugins i use more often like calf suite.

halfsoul
I have switched to using the last known-good version full-time which has resolved my re-connection problem. Now that it is working, I get the following errors in the Log window every time I open a session:

[INFO]: LV2: Discovering 271 plugins
[INFO]: Loading menus from /usr/etc/ardour3/ardour.menus
[INFO]: Loaded mixer bindings from /usr/etc/ardour3/mixer.bindings
[INFO]: Loading bindings from /home/joel/.config/ardour3/ardour.bindings
OSC @ osc.udp://avlinux601b:3819/
[INFO]: Loading 82 MIDI patches from /home/joel/.config/ardour3/patchfiles:/usr/share/ardour3/patchfiles
[ERROR]: MCP: unknown sysex: [f0 00 20 32 00 14 78 38 50 61 6e 20 20 20 20 f7]
[ERROR]: MCP: unknown sysex: [f0 00 20 32 00 14 78 3f 50 61 6e 20 20 20 20 f7]
[ERROR]: MCP: unknown sysex: [f0 00 20 32 00 14 78 46 50 61 6e 20 20 20 20 f7]
[ERROR]: MCP: unknown sysex: [f0 00 20 32 00 14 78 4d 50 61 6e 20 20 20 20 f7]
[ERROR]: MCP: unknown sysex: [f0 00 20 32 00 14 78 54 50 61 6e 20 20 20 20 f7]
[ERROR]: MCP: unknown sysex: [f0 00 20 32 00 14 78 5b 50 61 6e 20 20 20 20 f7]
[ERROR]: MCP: unknown sysex: [f0 00 20 32 00 14 78 62 50 61 6e 20 20 20 20 f7]
[ERROR]: MCP: unknown sysex: [f0 00 20 32 00 14 78 69 50 61 6e 20 20 20 f7]

Perhaps for the newer versions of Ardour these errors are "fatal" and cause a JACK disconnect instead of "recoverable".

angelnwi
I have the same with the BCF2000 in mackie control. I dont have it at ardour start but when bcf send first messages. I dont think there is a link with the midi maping, i suppose mackie and midi control are distincts.

seablade
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 37 min ago. Offline
Mackie control uses the MIDI protocol in a very specific way. I would have to look up what those messages are, or might supposed to be, to know what is going on though, could be a while before I get a chance personally.

Seablade

halfsoul
seablade: Are there resources available that I might be able to look them up? I've been meaning to figure out what the keymaps are for the Mackie BCF2000, and such a resource might help me figure that out too.

halfsoul
This seems to be the relevant issue in the bug tracker: http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=4887