I moved the song folder and now Ardour won't load it

Hi,

I moved the folder with all the files created by my project and now I cant load it. Any ideas? When I user finder (I’m on Mac osx) The audio files are still there, as are all the main .ardour and .bak files.

Any help is gratefully recieved!

thanks!

Al

What version of Ardour? I don’t think that works with Ardour 2.x …

I did move a bunch of songs/sessionfolders once with Ardour 3, and iI encountered the same problem.
Solved it by renaming the
/your new projectname/interchange/your old projectname/
… to …
/your new projectname/interchange/your new projectname/

You see, Ardour 3 can’t load the session if the name behind the “interchange” folder is not the same as the name BEFORE the “interchange” folder.

Intentional or just a bug? Furthermore, after the folder change you can’t open the session in Recent Sessions but you can through Other Sessions in the opening Session Setup Dialog. - same goes for Session Menu - Recent … doesn’t work…Session Menu- Open …works.

Anyway, this is how I “solved” it.

@GerardGueuze Just confirming that the same renaming worked for me too in the past on Ardour 3.x. I did always find it a bit funny that inside the interchange folder there is another folder with the project’s name - I don’t see why it’s necessary to have this extra folder. That said, why would the devs have put it there if there’s no good reason?!

Actually, we don’t have a good reason.

The original idea was that everything below interchange could be exported to/imported by another DAW. We keep all the ardour-specific “metadata” above interchange and all the standard-format audio + MIDI (+ video) data below. But we added the session name so that someone could actually just drag-n-drop the interchange/session-name folder somewhere else and have it make sense.

As it has turned out, this was not a useful thing to do, and definitely complicated (and broke) the ability to rename easily. Changing it, however, has its own set of complications.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand that at this point, it would be even worse to change things around. It’s not a real problem - just need to remember to rename the folder when renaming the session folder. Maybe there is good place to put a note about this in some documentation?

Excuse me if I’m jumping in without truly understanding the above (I think I do), but I’d like to add that I’ve wanted to cp -r entire session folders, but this only resulted in Ardour complaining that audio files could not be found when I opened the copy.

But then, I discovered I could Save As and then work on a remix using the same session folder. Hooray for non-destructive editing!