crash when export

I’ve read that some people experienced the same thing under some circumstances. However, for me, every time I export, Ardour freezes (after having duly done its job) and Jack crashes, which in turn crashes the Focusrite. So I’m wondering what might, in my configuration, cause this. If any one has an idea, that would be of much help.

I’m on UbuntuStudio (12.04); 3.2.0-58-lowlatency-pae; 8GB ram; Focusrite Saffire Pro26; and I manage my studio through Claudia.

are you running an alsa-jack bridge? that allows non jack programs to play audio through hack via an also to jack bridge?

I know in the past this has caused export problems, though they should be fixed in recent updates to jack.

I am indeed. Though I only use it if I need Audacious to play something. But the bridge is there, yes.

Most likely, this is caused by a bug in Jack2. In theory it has been fixed in the git version of Jack2, but that has not been released at this time.

It can also be caused by the use of certain plugins that do not work with faster-than-realtime audio processing. Plugins that performs FFT’s to do various transformations are typically affected.

Tx for the comments. The bridge is not the problem. On or off same thing.
However, I’ve tried various things and found out that (a) a blank session (1 audio track + 1 buss with guitarix_freeverb) can be exported without crashing anything. The strange thing is that the Focusrite goes off and then back on while exporting; (b) As soon as I add a midi track, exports are no longer possible without crashing Jack and the Focusrite. Ardour freezes.

There must be something with my configuration, otherwise everybody would experience the same behavior…(?)

The focusrite crash is a specific issue with the driver for that device, and should not be considered as part of the problem you are seeing.

What version of Ardour?

If you can get a crash during export and you are able to get a backtrace using gdb, then please create new report in the bug tracker and copy the output from gdb into a text file and attach it.

This page may help should help with using gdb if you are unfamiliar with it: https://ardour.org/debugging_ardour.html

I realize this is an old post but I have version 5.8.0 running on Ubuntu 16.10. Mine crashes when exporting audio. I ran it using gbd. Will that help with troubleshooting?