midi editing

After playing with Qtractor for a bit, I have decided to start using Ardour for midi and audio recording. I am using Ardour 3.5.143 on AVLinux 6.02. I have a few questions and maybe a few issues.

I am getting a lot of “skipping event with unordered time” errors. What does this mean? Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Also, I have been having issues with midi editing. I will enter 8 bars or so of drum midi track and then copy/paste what I just did. I will close the session and re-open the same session and on the midi track I pasted the length of the midi notes will overlap, sometimes rather dramatically. I even tried setting up the eight bars as a region and copy/pasting the region. Same results. What am I doing wrong. Is this a bug issue? I searched briefly through the bugs and didn’t see anything. Thanks!

@rgkcalb

Can’t say I have ever used that function to be honest, but based off what I know of the ulimit command, I would venture a guess it is either every time you turn on the machine, or every time you log in, not sure which. Certainly won’t hurt to run it every time before you run ardour to be on the safe side though.

And yes the bug tracker is where you would file the reports. It is fine to ask questions about the process(But obviously read the document first), for the most part we will try to help you with it, it is always a good thing to have more people helping debug, and the more reproducable crashes that are filed, the more bugs can get fixed.

Seablade

there are many issues with MIDI editing. after the next “major” release of ardour, there will be a heavy duty focus period on this stuff.

Got it. Thanks. I’ll be watching for updates.

Like paul said, there are many issues with midi, but just hang tight.

If its just drums your wanting, you may have better luck by using hydrogen. you can sync ardour to hydrogen so they play at the same time.

Build up the drum parts in hydrogen, then you can record them into ardour, either as a stereo track or you could record each voice on a seperate track.

I’m experiencing as well a lot of crashing while editing midi. A lot of what I will be doing will involve midi editing. I may have to look at something like qtractor and export finished tracks to Ardour until midi is more stable. Any suggestions?

@rgkcalb

http://ardour.org/debugging_ardour.html

Seriously the best thing we can do is to generate repeatable crash reports so that they can be fixed and not crash to begin with:)

Seablade

@seablade - I was looking at option 2 before but never could find a core dump file. I just looked again and see I missed the “ulimit -c unlimited” command. Do I issue the command one time or do I have to do this before every Ardour session? I assume I go to the bug tracker to file a crash report? I’m new to this process so It’ll take me a bit to work thru.

@seablade - I still consider myself an inexperienced DAW user so at times I’m not sure what might be a bug and what I unknowingly create myself. I’ve been spinning my wheels for over a year now trying different DAWs, OSs and low-end audio interfaces and have yet to complete a finished project. I was hoping to change that soon. That said, if I can in some small part contribute to the development of Ardour I am willing to participate.

I just opened an account on the bug tracker site. The main problem with midi has been Ardour randomly disappearing while editing existing notes. It’s hard to get anything done that way. This behavior has already been documented August of last year. I will continue to bang on this and try to figure out where Ardour dumps it’s core file, then post crash reports. Thanks.

I have the exact same issues with midi in recent ardour versions, i found the only solution was to roll back to v3 when midi was first introduced, there is still other midi bugs but i was atleast able to get something done.

there is a page somewhere that tells you how to run ardour inside a debugger. which will allow you to see any crash data.

I have a bug report open already on this issue so maybe you could add to it, i dont think anyone else has added to it, rather just created new bug reports

@veda_sticks - I found the page you’re talking about and created an account on the bug tracker. The odd thing about the crashes is I haven’t had that problem again. I did a fresh install of AVLinux 6.02 and was using the included version of 3.5.143 initially before I reinstalled ardour.org’s binary. I think ardour crashed three times in a relatively short session. I’ve used the ardour.org binary since and haven’t had that particular problem again, yet. Don’t know.

Other problems now with importing small midi files. @seablade stressed reproducable issues but I can’t nail the reproducable part down. Building character I guess.

@veda_sticks - I found the page you’re talking about and created an account on the bug tracker. The odd thing about the crashes is I haven’t had that problem again. I did a fresh install of AVLinux 6.02 and was using the included version of 3.5.143 initially before I reinstalled ardour.org’s binary. I think ardour crashed three times in a relatively short session. I’ve used the ardour.org binary since and haven’t had that particular problem again, yet. Don’t know.

Other problems now with importing small midi files. @seablade stressed reproducable issues but I can’t nail the reproducable part down. Building character I guess.

Stumped my toe or something. Don’t see how to delete the accidental post.