Unable to install!

I paid for & downloaded the latest linux version but receive an error when trying to install. I have tried both ways…clicking on .install.sh & also using the terminal. I have tried both ways several times & re-downloaded 4 or 5 times in case of a bad download. The error I get I have seen before on here, it’s

!!! ERROR !!! Can’t locate .size file for x86 bundle.
This package is broken or does not support x86.

Press ENTER to exit installer

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you installing the correct build for your system’s CPU architecture. e.g. x86 for 32Bit or x86-64 for 64Bit ?

I’m installing the build that comes up automatically for my machine when I paid. There was no alternative!

coremedia: there is no “automatic” selection. The website does not try to be smart. You were offered a list of several alternatives. The default is 64 bit Linux. If you are on 32 bit Linux, that will not work. Let me know if this is the case, and I will fix up your download info so that you can fetch the correct version.

I probably need it switching then because I didn’t see a choice on the page I was on. 64 bit is adamant it won’t work so it would have to be 32 I’m guessing although I’m sure I have run 64 on my laptop.

I have done the same thing, accidentally downloaded the 32 bit version of linux, there are a few distros though that come only as 32 bit. AV-linux only comes as 32 bit.

When you go to the download page you should see this

Ardour 3.5.357 for Linux x86_64
Ardour 3.5.357 for Linux x86

and a radio button at the right of each ardour, if your running 32 bit, you need to select the 2nd one. x86_64 will only run on 64 bit operating system and x86 will only run on 32 bit.

also, explaining what happens when yout ry and install can be helpfull, paste any error information from the terminal is usually a good troubleshooting point

im an idiot you posted the error output right there in your post.

what the others have said is correct, it wont install because you dowbnloaded the wrong bundle for your OS

coremedia: email your Invoice ID to me at paul@linuxaudiosystems.com and I’ll fix things up for you.

Everyone who downloads Ardour for Linux from ardour.org is sent or pointed a link to http://ardour.org/first_time_linux.html . We do this because we think that you should read it.

You shouldn’t be opening it with gedit, which is a text editor.
If you right-click on the file icon, you should get a menu which (somewhere) lets you change the file permissions, and you need to tick a box to make it executable. With a bit of luck after then when you double-click on the icon it will run the file itself as an executable script.

Or in a terminal call /bin/sh downloads/Ardour_32bit-4.1.0.run

Easiest way is probably open a terminal. type /bin/sh then drag-drop the file to the terminal (which will expand the full location of the downloads folder) press enter.

I’ve downloaded the file, but when I click on it, I get this message from gedit saying it doesn’t recognize the character encoding. Here it is as it is on the screen:

Could Not Open the File /home/lcmemusic/downloads/Ardour_32bit-4.1.0.run
gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

Made both selections, which are:
Current Locale (UTF-8)
Western (ISO-8859-15)

and the same message pops up.

I will admit that I have to be the newest of newbs at Linux. I had some experience with Linux back in the 2000s, but I don’t think that counts anymore. I will say bluntly, I have no idea of what I’m doing with this, but I want to learn because I need a stable recording situation, and I’ve had a taste of what it could be like with AV Linux.

Thank you in advance for all help.

I download a paid version for Linux

the download completed and i received a file called (Ardour_32bit-4.1.0.run) i try everything and can’t get this install sham cause invest 45$ in this. can anyone help me please i downloaded the the correct version for my laptop

At which point in the instructions on http://ardour.org/first_time_linux.html did your installation fail, and exactly what happened?
How can you expect anyone to help without this information?

Hi guys - I am also a total newb to Linux - I am having the same problem, but I cannot see a definitive answer to the original question - but then maybe I would not recognise an answer if it hit me in the head … I have downloaded and installed AVLinux and that only comes in 32bit. I have downloaded Ardour 32bit. (.run). When I double click on the file (copied to the desktop) I get:
Could Not Open the File /…/Ardour_32bit-4.1.0.run
gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.
Made both selections, which are:
Current Locale (UTF-8)
Western (ISO-8859-15)
No matter what I do I can get no further. Please be kind enough to advise. Thanks

You have to start with a right clic on the .run file and in permissions “make it executable”, and then it could run when double clic it. Is it ok?

Yr a star stratojaune! that worked a treat - thank you :slight_smile:

You very welcome but am not… never forget to RTFM John E!!!