Can't start ardour HELP!!

I changed my CPU DSP from “all but one processors” to “all available processors” and now I get a pop up when I try to open a session/ start new one that says “cannot load snapshot correctly” (or cannot create file when making a new one).

This what my terminal says:

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
         This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs
         out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and it
         is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

bnd txt domain [gtk2_ardour3] to /usr/share/locale
Ardour3.4 (built using 3.4~dfsg-3ubuntu1 and GCC version 4.8.1)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /etc/ardour3/ardour_system.rc
Loading user configuration file /home/joelphin/.config/ardour3/ardour.rc
Using SSE optimized routines

(ardour-3.4:2221): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property gtkmm__CustomObject_N9Gtkmm2ext25CellRendererColorSelectorE::color after class was initialised
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /etc/ardour3/ardour3_ui_default.conf
Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour3/ardour3_ui_dark.rc
Cannot connect to server socket err = Connection refused

Now before this, everything worked amazingly even on my 3.06 Pentium 4 single-core. 2GB RAM

I’ve tried editing the config files but everything I’ve read does not reflect what my config file says, there’s nothing even about “@audio memlock etc”

This is what my config file looks like;

#                 
#

#*               soft    core            0
#root            hard    core            100000
#*               hard    rss             10000
#@student        hard    nproc           20
#@faculty        soft    nproc           20
#@faculty        hard    nproc           50
#ftp             hard    nproc           0
#ftp             -       chroot          /ftp
#@student        -       maxlogins       4

# End of file

PLEASE HELP!! I AM STUMPED AND I REALLY DON’T WANT TO LOSE MY LATEST WORK

Thank you

I had problems installing KX studio, might of been a bad download (I had to download a mirror instead of a torrent) but I’ve switched over to xubuntu, ardour is working now but I’m getting the same error message at the start, and the program isn’t running as good as it could be;

"Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory! This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf"

I can’t seem to edit my security/ conf file, there’s nothing about “@audio memlock -” at all. I get an error in terminal (mousepad:1979): IBUS-WARNING **: The owner of /home/son/.config/ibus/bus is not root!

I ran Hydrogen yesterday and got this error and it never started either:

RemoteVSTClient: all cache files are up-to-date, not running scanner

Looked it up on Google and it pointer to dssi-vst. I uninstalled dssi-vst and Ardour and Hydrogen now works. This is on Arch64.

personaly i find 13.10 far to new. even 12.04 i think is still not as bug free enough yet to be stable. But it seems to work well enough. you should try an multimedia setup distro, like KX studio that has all the hard work done for you so most things should work out of the box.

I’m using ubuntu 13.10, I might try updating everything, if not I might have to format

joelwalkingzombie, I’m getting the same here. I’m using Arch64 and was using Ardour3 yesterday and today I’m getting this… All I did was update my system like I do everyday as Arch is updating constantly.

Announcement is:
run dialog
RemoteVSTClient: all cache files are up-to-date, not running scanner
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Butler @ 0x3e37520
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Locations @ 0x3e37970
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::RouteGroup @ 0x3e38170

I’m using both the binary and the Arch repo version and both failed. Re-installed it and still fails.
What distro are you using?

Okay so I tried opening it up in terminal with sudo and I got a little bit further, it started loading all of my tracks but eventually I got an error message “fail port constructor” and this is what my terminal had to say;

programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::AudioRegion @ 0xbdf74a0
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::AudioRegion @ 0xbdf9900
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::AudioRegion @ 0xbdfbec8
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::AudioRegion @ 0xbdfe328
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::AudioRegion @ 0xbe008f0
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::AudioRegion @ 0xbe02d50
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::AudioRegion @ 0xbe05318
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::AudioRegion @ 0xbe07778
programming error: SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::AudioRegion @ 0xbe09d40

and

ClientNotify fails name = ardour notification = 10 val1 = 10 val2 = 0
Cannot write socket fd = 13 err = Broken pipe
CheckRes error

Thanks for the help, it means so much and I’m greatful that Ardour has such supporting forums for idiots like myself.

Another theory as well, when I first changed the DSP, I restarted and tried to re-boot and got a weird error message, some along the lines of port constructor etc (I can’t see it now sorry) so I un-installed, then re-installed Ardour 3, maybe it’s having problems retrieving system files?

If you are getting errors about cannot create files when making a new session, something is wrong with your system. Leaving aside the above which looks like you are not set up for realtime preemption, not being able to create a file has nothing to do with that aspect of things. It usually comes form A) You are out of space, or B) Something about the permissions on your system is preventing you from creating files whereever Ardour is trying to create a session. So lets focus on that first.

Where is Ardour trying to create a new session at? How much free space is there at that location? Can you create a text file in that exact location as the same user you are trying to launch Ardour with?

Seablade

It’s trying to create files in the same folder it always has, “ardour session files”. I’m not terribly fussed about creating new files just now, but the fact that I can’t even access the old save files. And I have a lot of free space on my harddrive.
Everything worked fine until I messed with the CPU DSP, I just want to know how to fix that.