Sampling Rates

4 replies [Last post]
Seafroggys
User offline. Last seen 5 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
I have just bought my new recording computer, I have installed Linux and am using it for the first time. I'll have many questions since I'm so new to the OS and an unorthodox DAW (having used Sonar for so many years), but here is my first of many questions:

I can't seem to find the place to change the sampling and bit rate. Does it default to 24 bit @ 96 khz?

tgoose
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
Ardour gets its sampling and bit rates from JACK. Depending on your distribution, this should be somewhere in the "Applications" or "Software" or something menu and called "JACK control", but whatever you're using it's accessible in GUI form by going to terminal and typing qjackctl. From there it's pretty simple to work out.

JACK defaults to the highest bit rate and sampling rate your hardware to handle, and if you want to run a session at some other rate it's best to change this before running Ardour.

Hope that helped!

Seafroggys
User offline. Last seen 5 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Wow solved one problem, created a new one.

(this should probably go under Linux subforum, though)

Turns out I hadn't installed the Jack Control package. So I did, I load it, check everything out. Then all of a sudden Jack cannot connect to the Jack Servor, and now Ardour won't boot because it can't connect to Jack. The debug window says refer to the message window, but unless I'm mistaken, its the same thing.

EDIT: I've kind of figured this out, I'm posting a new topic over in the Linux forum because I have *yet* another problem. Thank you.

brelic
User offline. Last seen 3 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Is jackd installed? You may have just installed the frontend (GUI) portion of it without the daemon (the actual JACK server).

What distribution are you using? Some distributions might not automatically install jackd if you install qjackctl.

jrigg
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
> JACK defaults to the highest bit rate and sampling rate your hardware to handle

No, it defaults to 48kHz (assuming your hardware can handle that) even on 96kHz and 192kHz capable hardware.